Chapter 10 - "The Rogue-Hunters"

Kate’s pov:
I’m in the most comfortable position imaginable when I wake up the next morning. Blake has got his arms around my chest is resting his head on my shoulder. I don’t think I’ve ever slept better than when we went to sleep for the second time tonight, and even then, he didn’t rush anything. We fooled around a little bit, but afterwards we just went to sleep. He seemed to be deep in thought over something though. I didn’t get what, and neither did I ask him. I just wished my wolf could’ve caught it.

When I try to turn around slowly, I see Blake’s peaceful face while he’s still in a deep sleep. He’s so cute like this. I gently run my hand through his short hair as he twitches slightly, catching me off guard, but then he turns over on his back and drifts back into sleep. I turn around to watch him for a moment – my mate, lying peacefully asleep in my bed right next to me. He looks so peaceful. It’s easy for forget how tormented he truly is though. I only remember that when I catch glimpses of some of the scars on his chest.

I plant a soft kiss on his forehead while he’s still sleeping as I then slip out of bed and get dressed. I decide to let him sleep on for a little bit on his own. I get out the door and make my way down the stairs to make myself something to eat…or for the both of us. I’m sure Blake will be up soon.

- He’s been on the run for four years. We lost his scent about three years ago. We only just now caught it. With the things that you are telling us, it’s not a coincidence.

I don’t recognize that voice, but it gives me the creeps as I walk quietly over to the door and stop right outside to listen.

- We’ve recently discovered that this boy is the mate to the Luna’s daughter. She found him in the woods a couple of days ago and they seem to be more connected than what I originally thought.

Okay, now that voice I do recognize. It’s freaking Gray!

- Connected to another soul or not doesn’t change what he’s done in the past. He’s got crimes to answer to. He’s got quite a punishment coming his way, closely equal to death…there might be way to find an arrangement, but the important thing is that we apprehend him.

I gulp to myself at what that actually means. Ever since the first ‘he’, I knew they were talking about Blake. Apparently he’s been on the run…I didn’t even know. I mean, I know he has a bad past with other packs, but he never told me that the packs had been hunting for him. My heart is beating so hard inside my chest that I’m almost scared they’ll hear it through the door.

- According to our contact, you had information about his whereabouts…

The unfamiliar voice says before I decide to make them shut up and burst through the doors. I see two other men standing on the opposite side to Gray as he looks both surprised and somewhat petrified.

- Kate, what…

He starts, but he sighs deeply after a while.

- …how much did you hear?

He then rephrases himself before one of the other men steps forward and I keep my eyes warily on him.

- You’re the boy’s mate, aren’t you? Me and my friend here are very interested in his whereabouts. Would we find him if we looked in your room?

He asks as he stares right through me.

- If you in fact got up there…

I let out, not finishing the sentence as the other guy is about to walk past me when I block his path.

- Wow, wow, what are you after him for?

I ask defensively.

- You need to back off, miss. That boy is dangerous. We’re taking him in order for everyone to feel safe.