Chapter 21 - "The Secret"

Blake’s pov:
- Blake, Blake, Blake, you’ve got quite a tale to tell me. You guys left what, eight years ago? I didn’t even get any letters from you.

Alec points out as I close the door, having my back turned towards him. A weak smile manages to makes its presence on my face as I turn back to face him. Alec will be sure to make me feel bad about that one. He’s holding his arms in a cross as he seems like he’s expecting someone else here too.

- I guess we thought that letters would be too soft for ya…

I respond as I sit down on the bed. Alec keeps his eyes on me for a moment…

- You know, I was expecting to see your brother greeting me with the kind of excitement that would make me forget I missed his sorry ass.

He lets out. Everything inside of me just collapses. The moment those words hit me, I just go numb and when I look at Alec, I can tell that he knows something is up.

- Blake, you’ve got that face. After eight years I still recognize the kind of face you give when I’m saying something either utterly ridiculous or when I’m stepping on somebody’s toes.

He goes on. I take a deep breath to myself, trying to avoid his gaze as I walk over to the window, wondering how I’m gonna say this. It should be easy, right? I should just tell him straight forward. Instead it isn’t…it never is.

- Blake, where is he?

He asks. I find myself struggling to keep away the pain from him. Something tells me that if I just turn to face him and I let him look at me, he will know in less than second.

- He’s dead, isn’t he?

He then asks as I can sense the darkness in his voice. I nod weakly as I find myself letting out a breath that’s been building up ever since Damian’s name came up. Alec and Damian were close. People would mistake them to be brothers if they didn’t know better. I finally manage to gather the strength to turn back towards him.

- Yes, he is.

He closes his eyes for longer than a standard blink and takes a very deep breath. I can see that he’s hurting and I expected that, but this goes way deeper than I thought would be the case. His hands are gripping on the covers. If the covers were a person, that person would’ve been dead now, that’s for sure. Being straightforward with him about what happened can be both a good thing and a bad thing I come to realize as I just back down on the bed and look at him. He’s not dealing well with this.

- Who killed him?

Here we go. My heartbeat is rising inside my chest as he keeps this glare on me that I can’t turn away from. I can just see the imminent pain in his eyes. I can’t take it however. I find myself walking over to the window again.

- Blake, who killed him?!

He let out a deep breath as I hear him getting up on his feet before I turn towards him.

- It doesn’t matter, Alec. I killed the him, alright? He died less than a minute later.

I answer, but he doesn’t accept it. He wants to know who it was. This sticks so deep I’m starting to wonder if I ever truly knew what their relationship was like. I don’t remember having seen him this tense before.

- Don’t hold back on me, Blake. I need to know!

This is not going well.

- Why do you want to know? It happened three years ago and it’s been dealt with!