Chapter Twenty-Five

"We have an emergency."

I looked up from my book.

"We received an anonymous message saying someone is planning to blow up a building," Steve said.

I removed my feet from Loki's lap and stood up.

"Which building?" I asked.

"Peter's apartment building," Tony spat.

I looked over to him to see him fuming. He was already in his suit and ready to go protect his spider-son. Loki snapped his fingers, and we were all dressed in our suits.

"Thanks, Loki," Bucky said, looking himself up and down.

I noticed a specific someone else also looking Bucky up and down. Maybe I should talk to him about 'taking a leap of faith.'

An alarm began blaring.

"Sir, the unknown group is going through with the bombing," Friday said. "Peter is fighting against them."

Tony didn't say anything before flying away. I flew after him, afraid for his and Peter's safety. Once we'd reached the building, Tony flew to the ground. People were rushing away from the building, guided by police officers and firemen.

"Pick up, goddammit!" Tony yelled.

I threw my power out towards the building in a wave, probing and searching for the bomb. My power touched something strange - something alien - in the basement.

"There's something in the basement," I informed my team. "It's... my power has only felt something similar around Vision. Around... the stone."

There was a deadly silence.

"Y/n, do not go near that thing," Loki said.

"I'm an Avenger," I retorted. "It's my job."

I began walking into the building.

"Tony, you take care of the civilians. Make sure no one gets hurt," I said.

"Y/n, be careful," Loki said.

"I always am," I replied.

I heard a snort as I ran into the building. People were still running out of the building. I saw May at one point. She seemed alright. I made my way to the basement. I walked down the stairs, listening for any noise to indicate that someone was there.

"What's going on?" Steve asked through the comms.

"I don't know," I whispered.

I walked deeper underground. I found a door with a strange, purple glow coming from the gap. I opened the door and gasped in surprise and awe.

A beautiful purple ball of light was in the middle of the room. My mouth opened slightly. The purple ball swirled through the air like water. It suddenly began to pulse, disrupting my trance-like state.

I quickly wrapped my power around it. The purple ball flared, and the power threatened to break free of my shield. I knew immediately that this thing was destructive.

"I found the bomb thing," I grunted.

"Great. Where is it?" Clint asked.

"In... the basement," I groaned.

The strain of keeping the purple glow-y thing was high. It was constantly fighting for escape.

"What's wrong?" Loki asked.

"This... bomb. It looks like it's going to explode and I'm holding it in my power," I gasped.

"You need to-"

I didn't get to hear what I had to do because I was shot. A jet of the same purple light struck me in the chest and pushed me away. I rolled over a few times and groaned at the pain in my chest. The suit took most of the damage, but I knew it was going to bruise. There was a rumbling and I quickly got to my feet. During my fall, I lost control of my power and the purple ball had begun expanding. I held my hands out again when a voice stopped me.

"I wouldn't do that, if I were you."

I turned to the side to face a man holding a massive gun with wisps of purple flitting around it. The building rumbled again.

"I don't care," I said.

I lashed my power out at the man, but he blocked it with a shot from the gun. I fired blast after blast at the criminal, but he never ran out of ammo. I got close enough to tackle him and kicked his gun out of his hands. I punched him in the side of the head, knocking him out.

The purple ball of power flared again, but this time stronger. I was pushed back and landed on my back. The building began to crumble. I quickly raised my hands and allowed my power to flow through the building and stabilise the supports. I heard a few screams as I felt the building sway.

"Get everyone out," I grunted. "I can hold it."

In less than a second, Loki was beside me. He looked at me and then towards the purple ball of light.

"What is that thing?" I asked.

"The power stone," Loki replied.

"It doesn't look like a stone to me," I muttered.

Loki turned back to me and allowed his magic to help me support the building.

"You need to destroy the power source," Loki said, gesturing to the purple thing with his head.

I glanced at the glowing purple ball of destruction.

"How do you know I can do it?" I asked quietly.

"Because you are more powerful than me," Loki said. "More powerful than Thor. I think you are the most powerful person in all nine realms."

I glanced back at him in surprise.

"What?" I whispered.

Loki smiled at me.

"You can do it," he said.

"Everyone is out of the building," Steve said. "What's going on down there?"

"Y/n is going to destroy the power source," Loki said.

I took a deep breath and nodded. I removed my stabilisation from the building slowly. Loki grunted a bit at the weight, but he was able to hold it up by himself. I held my hand out to the purple ball. I shot a blast at the thing, but it just swallowed the magic up. I gulped audibly.

"What's wrong, Love?" Loki grunted.

What was wrong?

I could take this power source with my full strength. But I had never expended that much power before. It scared me. What if I lost control?

"If I lose control," I said quietly, "please help me."

Loki's eyes softened.

"Of course, my love," he said.

I took another deep breath. I held my hands out to the purple ball. I wrapped my magic around it in a powerful shield. The ball of light thrashed and fought against my magic. I grunted as I tried to keep it contained.

I slowly began compressing my magic around the ball. The purple power began to thrash against me, earning a grunt from me. I shrunk the magic around it. I could practically hear it screaming.

And then it began to speak to me.

It told me things old and new, in a voice that was male and yet female, young and yet old. It told me it was the oldest thing in the galaxy, and that it was the most powerful.

I took the last step and crushed it to smithereens. The force of the purple ball exploding threw me back and into Loki. Loki fell to the ground and I heard the building groan. The ceiling came down towards us but suddenly we were outside.

I glanced down at Loki who had an arm around my waist and then to the building that was crumbling to the ground.

I huffed out a breath and closed my eyes.