Chapter Thirty-Eight

I watched through the widows of Shuri's lab as the alien army threw themselves against the shield. Some of them were able to get through and immediately got cut in half by the barrier. Some of them began to go around the shield, probably hoping to break in somewhere else and catch us off guard.

"Shuri, on my signal, open north-west section seventeen," T'Challa said.

"Requesting conformation, my king. You said open the barrier?" Shuri asked.

T'Challa confirmed his statement. Shuri opened the barrier on his signal and I watched as my friends clashed with the oncoming army. I watched Steve bash creatures with his shield. I watched Tony and Sam blast the beasts from the sky. I watched Thor use his hammer to kill ten monsters at once. I sought out all my friends, making sure they were okay.

A deep rumbling brought my attention to the edge of the barrier. Something had dug its way underground like a mole and was tearing through the battlefield. It came above ground and crashed through the battlefield.

I glanced at Wanda. She was looking worriedly at Vision and then back to the battlefield.

"Go," I told her. "I'll take care of him."

Wanda looked at me gratefully before flying down to the battlefield. Half a minute later, I saw her red magic encase two of the things. They crashed to the ground, effectively killing some of the creatures.

My attention was caught by a flash of green light. Loki fought against the monsters tirelessly. He slashed and stabbed and used illusions. His golden horns glowed as he fought with brutal skill.

A loud yell brought me back to the room I was in. I glanced up at Shuri. She quickly began pressing buttons on her hologram. Vision gasped and I floated up to her level. A child of Thanos – Corvus Glaive, I believed it to be – was fighting against the guards. I glanced down at Vision.

The final defence.

The glass smashed open and Shuri shot at the thing. I didn't let it recover before I threw my power at it in blasts. Corvus spun his spear around and I was too slow to stop the impact. I smashed through the glass and crashed into the wall. The wind was knocked from my lungs. I watched as the creature stalked towards me. Suddenly, Vision collided with him and pushed him out of the window. Vision fell through with him.

"Goddammit," I wheezed, standing up. "Vision, you're an idiot."

I followed after the two figures falling from the building. I dropped like a stone to the ground. The impact of my landing knocked Corvus over. He slowly stood up and studied me.

"You are a great warrior with great power, Earthling," he said. "Give up the stone, and Thanos will spare you."

"I'm not an Earthling," I said. "And we don't trade lives."

I threw my power at the alien. It threw him into a tree and the tree snapped in half. The force of my hit knocked the spear out of his hands. I threw my power out at him again. He rolled to the side and I hit another tree with my power. The tree fell towards me and I dived out of the way. I rolled onto my back and suddenly Corvus's foot was on my throat.

"Wrong choice, Dear," he growled.

"Only one person calls me Dear," I snarled.

I threw my power out in a wave and disintegrated him. I began breathing heavily, gulping deep breaths into my lungs. I heard a groan and rolled over to see Vision panting and clutching his chest. I rushed over to him and removed his hand. There was a stab wound underneath.

"He got me as we fell," Vision panted.

I shook my head.

"You have dumb bitch disease, just like Steve," I muttered, readying my power.

Healing Vision was different to healing the others. He was a robot and required a different type of healing. Wanda could do it better than me, but she wasn't here right now.

The other Avengers began arriving.

"You had one job," Sam muttered.

Tears came to my eyes. Vision came so close to dying, and it was my fault. Bucky hit Sam over the back of the head. Wanda rushed over to Vision and began healing him.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I'm so sorry, I -"

Before I could finish my sentence, two strong arms wrapped me into a hug.

"It is okay, y/n, Love," Loki whispered into my hair. "You did well. He will heal."

Without warning, everything went dead silent.

"What the hell?" Nat muttered.

Blue smoke appeared in the distance, close to T'Challa, Bruce, and Steve. The blue smoke parted to reveal-

"Thanos," Loki whispered.

"Eyes up, stay sharp!" Steve commanded, running at Thanos.

Everyone else began to run to Thanos. It was all of us against him. Bruce got to Thanos first. Thanos used a stone to throw him back and somehow melt him into the rock wall. Steve ran at Thanos, but he used the power stone to throw him away. T'Challa ran at him. The Black Panther jumped into the air, but the Mad Titian grabbed him by the throat. He slammed T'Challa to the floor. Sam flew at Thanos and he used a stone to make his wings malfunction.

"It is time," I heard Vision say.

"No," Wanda growled.

I turned my attention to them instead of Thanos.

"Listen to me. You have the power to destroy the stone," Vision said.

I turned back around as I heard a crash. Thanos had thrown Rhodes and Bucky was shooting at him.

"No, Vision," I said.

I turned back to Thanos.

"He hurt my family. And I am going to kill him," I said.

"Y/n, no!" Loki growled. "He has four infinity stones. He will kill you."

"No, he won't," I said. "Loki, you have no idea what I can do."

Loki looked at me suspiciously. I took a deep breath.

"After... after the battle against the elves... something happened. It's like there was a door at the end of my power, and it opened. What I once thought was the might of my power is... tiny, in comparison," I explained.

He needed to understand. Thanos was coming closer.

"The power stone spoke to me, Loki. It told me that I could destroy it. Destroy the universe, with my power. And the mind stone." I gestured to the rock in Vision's head. "It talks to me, too."

Loki looked at me in contemplation. He finally sighed.

"I do not tell you what to do," Loki said. "But please, let me help."

I nodded. I readied my power in my hands and ran forwards. Okoye threw her spear at Thanos. He stopped it with a stone and used the power stone to throw her back. I caught her with my power and gently lowered her to the floor, never breaking my stride. I threw a ball of power at Thanos. It was too quick for him to stop, and he fell backwards. I readied my power for another strike, but he lifted me in the air with the power stone and threw me against a tree. I felt my spine break with the force.

My spine had been broken twice in my life, and both times it had taken about two minutes to heal. Now that I had practically unlimited power, my spine healed within seconds.

I looked to Thanos to see him up against Loki. Loki slashed with his knives and blocked with his magic. Thanos reached out and grabbed Loki by the neck. I panicked and shot a flare right at Thanos's face. He yelled out and dropped Loki. I didn't give Thanos any time to collect himself. I gathered all of my power and threw it at him in a jet of golden light. I continued pushing against him. I created a shield around myself to protect me from the stones. I felt my feet lift from the ground as my magic took over. Wisps of power broke off from the stream of light and began to heal my team members. Thanos began yelling in pain.

The final defence.

That was me. And this was my final stand.