Chapter Thirty-Nine

Thanos's screams rattled my skull. My power was slowly but surely disintegrating him. My power had completely taken over my body. I had no control as my power slammed into Thanos. His screams got louder and more painful.

My power stopped healing my teammates and continued to burn Thanos. I felt it as my eyes began to glow, and my hair began to float. My power continued to burst out of me.

Just as Thanos's screams became almost unbearable, they stopped. I pulled my power back into myself and watched as flakes of ash fluttered down to the ground.

My power flared, knocking everyone back. They all landed hard and I wrapped my arms around myself.

Keep it controlled, I thought.

I squeezed my eyes shut and took deep breaths. The power wanted out. It wanted to destroy. It wanted to mutilate, to kill.

"Happy thoughts, happy thoughts," I whispered to myself.

Happy thoughts. Loki. The Avengers. Puppies. Kittens. My role as Guardian Angel. The love Loki and I shared.

Slowly, my power began to fade. I pulled it back into myself. I floated to the ground. My eyes stopped glowing and my hair stopped floating.

"Y/n?" Loki said cautiously.

I turned to face him.

"I'm alright," I gasped.

"Y/n!" Loki yelled.

I turned around to face the threat, but there wasn't one. Loki rushed over to me and grabbed my arm. He let go immediately, hissing as if he had been burnt. I looked to my arms to see cracks filled with golden light. It was as if the veins under my skin had raised and become golden. The golden lines webbed all over my body.

"You used too much magic," Loki whispered.

"And all magic comes at a cost," I whimpered.

The cracks began to burn, and I screamed in pain.

"No, no! No, y/n, please, no!" Loki screamed.

"I love you, Loki," I cried.

"No! Please! Take me instead! No!"

Loki could not do anything. He couldn't touch me; he couldn't save me. The pain became unbearable. I screamed louder and felt like my vocal cords were going to be ripped to shreds. A dome of power encircled me, and everything went white.

It could have been in the white for a second, or a minute, or an hour. I didn't know. A figure stalked towards me. As they came closer, I saw blonde hair. The figure came even closer, until they were just a yard away. I immediately recognised her blue eyes.

"Mum?" I breathed.

The woman's face crumpled.

"My dear y/n," she said.

I rushed over to her and hugged her tight. Tears slipped from my eyes. I pulled back to look at her.

"But... how is this possiblie? You - you're... dead. Am... am I dead?" I asked.

Sigyn shook her head.

"You are close, though," she said.

She gestured for me to turn around and I did. Behind me there was some sort of portal. It was golden along the outer rim, and behind it I saw the scene I had left behind. There was a golden light surrounding... my body?

I looked down to see my body. But through the portal, there was another body. My other body.

"How does this work?" I asked.

"You are in between the land of the living, and the land of the dead," my mother said. "You are not yet dead."

"Then how are you here?" I asked.

"I am here to guide you," Sigyn said. "Wherever you wish to go, I will help you."

I looked out of the portal to see Loki on his knees. He was screaming and tears flooded down his face. The other Avengers were crying as well and trying to help me.

"Are you saying I can go back?" I asked.

My mother nodded.

"It will be hard, and it will be painful. You may not like the repercussions," Sigyn said.

I quirked an eyebrow.

"What repercussions?" I asked.

Sigyn shook her head.

"I am not allowed to tell you, my dear," she said.

I looked back to the scene unfolding in the land of the living. I hated the look on Loki's face. The look of complete helplessness.

"I want to go back," I said.

"Then step through the portal," Sigyn said.

I turned to face her once more.

"I love you, mum," I said.

Sigyn smiled and hugged me close.

"I am so proud of the woman you have become," she whispered.

I turned to the portal and stepped through. As soon as I stepped through the portal I tumbled back into my own body. The pain was excruciating. I kept my mouth shut, not wanting to scream, knowing that if I screamed now, I may never stop.

How did I stop this?

I tried pulling my power back in, but it didn't work. I began to panic. What was I supposed to do?

Relax, my child, I heard. Just relax, y/n.

That was my father's voice.

Dad? I asked.

It is me. Your mother and I are so proud of you. You just need to relax, he said.

And then his presence was gone. I knew if I tried to communicate with him now there would be no answer.

Relax. I could to that. I let out a breath and slackened my limbs. It was extremely hard to do with the pain, but soon enough I felt the magic calm down. But I didn't feel it come back to me. I felt it go out into the world.

I dropped to the floor and all of the magic disappeared.

"Ow," I groaned.

"Y/n?" Loki asked.

He grabbed onto my arms.

"Y/n, can you hear me?" he asked frantically.

"Yeah," I croaked. "I can hear you."

Loki helped me sit up.

"What did it take?" he asked me quietly.

"My power," I whispered.

Loki froze.

"I – I still have some. Just... no where near as much as before. I'm maybe half as powerful as Wanda now," I said.

"Well, that is still impressive," Loki reassured.

I sighed.

"Is everyone else okay?" I asked.

"Yes," Loki replied. "Everyone else is okay."

"Okay," I said. "I'm just gonna go to sleep."

And then I passed out.