14

Why...are we in this situation...? Ethan, Dylan and I are sitting on a bench outside of a hipster cafe called 'The Wall'. Elizabeth came out of the cafe with four drinks.

"A strawberry lemonade for Jasmine. A cafe espresso for Ethan. Water for Dylan and a vanilla Frappuccino for me!" Elizabeth distributed the drinks to everyone.

"Thank you." We all said in unison.

"Damn, all of you being polite at once! That's surprising." Elizabeth tried clearing the dense fog of this omnibus aura we are all giving off. "Let me introduce myself. My name is Elizabeth Chase. I am Dylan's older sister. Our age gap isn't that big, I'm just two years older than him. I'm his only sibling and I care for him dearly." Elizabeth announced.

"Step-sister". Dylan corrected before taking a sip of his water.

"That doesn't matter! I'm still your sister!" Elizabeth pouted.

"I didn't say you weren't." Dylan chuckled.

They have a cute dynamic. Elizabeth is the preppy, sisterly love type of person and Dylan is the shy yet cool brother. That's very cute.

"Nice to meet you, Ms. Chase!" Ethan extended his hand for a handshake.

"Likewise er Mr...?" Elizabeth reached out her hand to complete the handshake but she was confused as to how to address Ethan.

"You can call me Ethan. I'm Jasmine's husband". Ethan smiled.

"Oh I see! What a charming husband you have, Jasmine!" Elizabeth chanted.

"Thank you." I responded.

There was a wave of silence as everyone took long sips of their drinks. The suspense is killing me as to why we were called here by Elizabeth.

"Alright. Let's get down to business. Jasmine, I really want to be your friend. I really do. I say that because you're my brother's neighbor. But don't you think you guys are a bit too friendly with each other?" Elizabeth asked with her eyes bouncing between Dylan and me.

"What do you mean?" Dylan asked.

"I understand you have a big heart. You help people who are in need. I see that you helped Jasmine when she fainted. But wouldn't others think some type of way? A single man with a married woman? It's easy to get the title of 'Adulterer' by strangers. They won't care to listen to your story". Elizabeth said nonchalantly.

"Sorry, I don't follow..." Ethan said in confusion.

Elizabeth sighed. "I'm assuming it doesn't bother you at all that Dylan and Jasmine can casually be together. But I'm worried something may happen to you if others think they are a married couple and later find out that Jasmine is married to someone else". Elizabeth placed her hand on Ethan's. It look Ethan a minute to process Elizabeth's gesture and then withdrew his hand. My eyes were fixated on Elizabeth's hand on my husband's but from the corner of my eye, I saw Dylan scoff and roll his eyes.

"Oh!" Elizabeth withdrew her hand. "Apologies. I'm used to skinship as I've witnessed various cultures during my travels. Sorry if I had made you guys uncomfortable." She said as she twirled her perfect, silky hair.

"Oh, no. It's fine. Don't worry about it." Ethan and I scoffed as we were not able to say our thoughts in unison.

"I was affiliated with Dylan as he was my boss before I found out he was my neighbor. I don't have any intentions going any further, beyond worker or neighbor." I stated.

I glanced at Elizabeth as I took a sip of my drink. She was trying to hide the smile she wanted to show. As if she caught onto my lie.

"I need to restroom. Care to join me, Jasmine?" Elizabeth offered. In reality it was a demand.