15

"Where did you go?" Ethan asked in confusion as I entered the house five minutes after him.

"I saw a stray cat and went to go play with it." Great job Jasmine. You're starting to feel comfortable lying left and right.

"Have you been wanting a pet?" It surprised me that Ethan suddenly inquired me about my interests. Usually at this point he would be resting on the sofa, watching a soccer game.

"It would be nice to have a cat. But I wouldn't want to jeopardize your life since you have severe cat and dog allergies." I walked over to the kitchen to fetch myself a glass of water.

"Mhmm...". That was all Ethan said before he turned on his tv and changed the channel to his usual soccer game. The event of a genuine conversation about my likings was very short lived. I grabbed my half empty cup of water and walked to our bedroom. Luckily Candice wasn't home, so I was able to have some solitude. I sat on the bench by my window and stared out while thinking about the promise Dylan was willing to make with me. His purpose of those dates were to make me fall for him. Not to never see me again. Is he really ready to give up after the third date? Suddenly, my stomach wasn't feeling well. It's as if someone punched me and that pain lingered for days. I took a sip of my water and realized Dylan was standing by his window across the courtyard. I couldn't exactly make out what he looked like, but I feel that he was looking at me in disappointment. He took a sip out of his mug that he was holding and stepped away from the window. The reason why I thought he was looking at me with disappointment, is because I told him I would think about it and just left him standing there when he was vulnerable and ready to make a compromise. That's the worst thing you can do to a man. He was willing to agree to the terms Elizabeth set in my mind, but I just walked away. When was I such a crappy person? I leaned in and rested my head in my arms on the window sill. Tears began to whelm up my eyes and stream down my face. How did I become the bearer of two men's hearts? Why am I given the pain and burden? I wish someone was here to tell me what to do with this conflicting hurricane in my heart! Can someone tell me what's the right thing to do!? Should I follow my heart or follow the laws!? I closed my eyes and sobbed to myself until I fell asleep.

"할머니?"
(Grandma?)

I saw an elderly figure in front of me. She had a cute floral granny top and a long, white skirt. She had curly white hair, small oval glasses that were popular during the Japanese imperialism, and small, embroidered shoes. She was walking towards me until I had a clear view of who she is.

"할머니!"
(Grandma!)

I ran towards her and gave her a big hug. She was my favorite family member. I would always play with her, she would pick me up from school when I was young, she would defend me against my parents, and fed me well. Whenever I was in a conflict, she always shared her fair share of wisdom. It was until she got into a car accident late at night. She was riding a taxi from my aunt's house to ours. The taxi driver probably didn't do a good job driving because he somehow missed a massive truck coming towards him and took a major blow on the car. That was the most devastating day of my life. We held a funeral for her in Korea, and I spent all day crying. No one was able to stop me nor did anyone join me in crying as hard as I was. I lost someone very dear to me and that pain never went away. It's been 8 years since her death.

"할머니! 여기 왜있어? 왜 우리 집에 없어? 우리 다 할머니 는 보고싶어!"
(Grandma! Why are you here? Why aren't you at home? Everyone misses you!"

I began to cry at the sight of my most favorite person in the world.

"야! 넌 왜 울어? 할머니 여기 있자나! 나는 여기 있어. 올지마, 우리 아가".
(Hey! Why are you crying? Your grandma is right here! I'm here. Don't cry, my baby).

My grandma stroked my hair and put it behind my ears. She than pay my back. That made me cry even more. I gave her the biggest hug I can ever give.

"시라지지마! 할머니, 너나 제일 좋은 사람! 나 너 필요해!"
(Don't disappear! Grandma, you're my favorite person! I need you!)

I grabbed onto my grandma with the intent of never letting go.

"아가, 무슨 일이야? 왜 너 울어?"
(Baby, what's wrong? Why are you crying?)

"난 어떻가지? 나 결혼했어. 남편 이름은 이산이야. 난사랑했어. 우리 아기 아직 없어. 나는 물아 왜 아직없어. 근데, 나는 딜런 은 많았어. 그남차가 친절 하도 이해 하고 나는 사랑해. 이 사랑 보고싶어. 나 어떻가지? 나마음 들어 아니면 마 심장 들어?"
(What do I do? I got married. My husband's name is Ethan. I loved him. We don't have a kid. I don't know why. But, I met Dylan. He is kind, understanding, and he loves me. I miss that type of live. What do I do? Do I listen to my mind or my heart?)

I sat on the ground, frustrated as ever. I covered my face with my hands and continued to cry. She's the only one who can give me guidance right now but all she's doing is standing I silence, listening to me. My grandma lowered herself and sat right next to me. She placed her hand on my back.

"너는 계속 말했어, 너 심장을들어. 그 딜란은 좋아?"
(I had always told you, listen to your heart. Do you like that Dylan boy?)

My grandma asked with such seriousness. I know she can't stand to see my heart broken.

"내, 아주많이!"
(Yes, I really do).

"왜 그 남자가 좋아?"
(Why do you like that man?)

"그 사랑 나 보고싶어. 이산 한태, 나 없어. 그 사람 나를 아마도 생각없어. 딜란가 나는 찰 갱각해."
(I miss that type of love. To Ethan, I'm not there. That person doesn't really think about me. Dylan thinks of me well.)

"잘 했어. 너 대답 여가 있어. 심장이 듣고 몸이 잘 생각해."
(Good job! You got your answer. Listen to your heart and take care of your body.)

Suddenly, I couldn't feel the warm embrace of my grandma's anymore. I put my hands down and saw I was in an empty void. My grandma disappears from my side, once again.

I opened my eyes and noticed it was dark out. I too a nap that lasted the whole day. Tears started rolling down my cheeks once again. The shock of my grandma disappearing right besides me [again] brought back the sharp pain I felt in my chest 8 years ago. Why did you have to leave grandma? You could've taken me with you. My life was great when you were by my side. What am I going to do without you. I couldn't stop my tears after the first few. They keep rolling down my cheeks. Grandma, are you watching me? I hope you're doing well up there. Thank you for coming into my dreams and help me find my answer. You know I always listen to you. This time is no different.

I wiped my tears and pulled out my phone from my pocket. I tapped on Dylan's contact and gave him a call.

"Hello?" Dylan answered in a slightly confused tone.

"Hey. What are you up to?" I asked nonchalantly. Not like I had an answer to give him right?

"As you saw, I was enjoying my cup of tea." He stated flatly.

"Right...Listen. I've decided my answer for what you've said earlier." My voice began to sound shaky.

"Yes...?" He waited for me to continue.

"In a few days, let's go on our second date. I want to keep my end of the promise and finish it up." I stated.

"Really? You're really going to do it?" Dylan officially sounded confused.

"I mean I'd you don't want me to, I'm done with tha—"

"No! No no no! Thank you. I look forward on fulfilling this promise". He sounded very content. I can only imagine him making the widest smile.

"But remember. After the third, we aren't seeing each other ever again. That was your end of the promise." I reminded him.

"Man's honor." Dylan sealed it with his honor. How cute.

"Alright. I'll text you to let you know when we can get this plan rolling. For now, just wait for my text." I commanded.

"Yes my lady". He agreed.

"Alright. That's all I had to say. Bye."I hung up the phone. As you said grandma, I'll listen to my heart.