The Middle (Part 1)

Sweat rolling down the side of my face as I keep my eyes on Musa's running form from the screen of my phone. Gritting on my teeth, I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What's wrong (Y/N)-san? Your face all stiff", Yuki asked, noticing my anxious expression.

"No, it's just... Musa-san is running faster than we had calculated. Can he hold out until 20 km?", I voiced out my worry as I pinch the bridge of my nose, loosening the stress that had built. It was silent for a minute until Shindou spoke.

"It's fine, I'm sure Musa is doing what he thinks is right. He's our ace after all", Shindou said in his hoarse voice, giving me a reassuring look. Inhaling for a good amount of air, I exhale out a breath to calm myself down.

"You're right, I should believe in him", I nodded with a smile, locking off my phone to take a break from watching the live show. "Ah, do you want a wet towel Shindou-san? Let's get your temperature down a bit", I said, taking out a medium-sized beaker, a small towel and a thermos from my bag. Carefully pouring some hot water into the beaker, I dip in the towel enough to dampen it. After making sure the damp towel is in the right warm temperature, I pass it to Yuki so he can help Shindou wipe his forehead and wrist.

"Musa is amazing, Kansei Uni is on the 14th. Jota should be running by now", Yuki commented, still holding the phone for both of them to watch.

"It's finally the older brother of the twin turn to run huh... I wonder who will be chosen", I mumbled, staring out the window at the fast moving scenery from inside the train.

🍂

"Jota-kun, is it fun to have a twin? I hardly met twins in my life so I was wondering...", I started the conversation with Jota while we were taking a break from practice. The other guys are doing their own stuff. Jota's eyes wander around, thinking for a moment.

"Hmm... It's fun because I have a brother my own age so we can play together. Our thinking is alike too but we are not the same in every aspect. And I know that Joji is a lot more talented than I am, even now in running", Jota answered, his eyes glance towards Joji who is talking to Kakeru.

"Is that so... Then, if I were to say that Hana likes one of you... and if she were to come and support either of you two... will you run faster than you ever would?", I asked in a teasing tone. Jota blink twice before blushing hard.

"H-Hana-chan is? O-Of course I will! I'll make sure that I can run faster than Joji!", he stuttered with a flustered expression, feeling butterflies in his stomach at my words. I giggled at the older twin's determination.

"It's only a bet though but, give it your best at the race!", I wished as he nodded with an excited smile, pumping up to do more practice.

🍂

"...No way", I said in shock, watching the current race for section 3. Sweat dropped seeing at how fast Jota is running towards the next section. I was lost for words.

"Kansei's showing a menacing final spurt. With the explosive sprint of a short-distance runner, he's climbed two ranks", the emcee said showing the footage of Jota running past two opponents. The power of love is really mysterious...

"I hope Joji can maintain his speed...", a sigh left my mouth, thinking of the youthful love story of the twin and my niece. Then, the speaker from the train announced that we have arrived at Odawara.

"We're here", Yuki said as the train stopped, arriving at our stop. Without further delay, I wear my bag and pass the backpack to Yuki. Glancing at Shindou whose face is still red from his high body temperature, I bit my lips to prevent any worries shown on my face. We are already at Shindou's section, I have to keep on encouraging him. With that thought in mind, the three of us get off from the train towards the waiting area for the participating runners.