Chikusei-so

🍂

5 YEARS AGO
"Well then,see you guys again!", I waved goodbye to my friends. My house is in a different district than them so I had to walk by myself to the bus stop. We just had a friendly match with the school we're going to compete in the preliminaries soon. The street in Yokohama is busy as usual but that's not the area I lived in. Since I usually went to school by bicycle, usually it would take 30 minutes. But because I had to attend the match, I decided to go by bus along with the swimming club members. Now, it might take 30 minutes of walking to reach home. Well, because I got to make a new record in the freestyle match... I'm going to warm up my body a bit!

Once I'm out of the busy street and now entering the residential area, I did some stretches to warm up my body. Getting into a jogging stance, "Let's do this!", I cheered and started jogging at a normal pace. My right hand firmly grip onto the sling bag's strap across my left shoulder in order to keep it in place. I could feel my leg's muscle stretch again after taking a break from previous swimming. I felt kind of excited that I had to jog to calm my nerves.

There, I'm almost home! I was about to turn around the corner and went straight to the apartment complex but a call of something stopped me. "Arf!Arf!", a faint bark followed by a whine came from above catched my attention. Intrigued by the pitiful tone from the unseen dog, my eyes darted around the area. "Arf!Arf!", it barked again louder than before and I immediately spotted a trembling light-brown coloured shiba puppy on top of the roof of an abandoned house located opposite of the apartment complex.

"Oh, how come are you up there?!", I shouted to the trembling puppy while jogging towards the abandoned house. People said that this house has its own history but I paid no attention to the rumors spreading around. "Hey, how long have you been up there?", I continue asking since it's weird that no one would help such a cute puppy. The puppy continues to tremble in terror. I sigh as the puppy did not reply. Well, let's do some hero's act shall we?

My arms stretch upwards, readied to catch the puppy. "Come here! Just jump and I'll catch you!", I shouted. Unfortunately, the puppy only cowered, and seems to not trust me yet. "Don't worry! I promise I'll catch you so...jump! You can do it, Shiba Inu!", I smiled encouragingly and the puppy began to step forwards. "Yeah,just like that!", I shouted as the puppy made its way at the corner of the roof. "And...jump!", I cheered while jumping a bit.

"Arf!", the puppy finally jumped off the roof. I immediately jump to catch it.

"Gotcha!", I said but then realized that I'm totally floating in the air with the puppy in my arms. "Oh--A-ahh!", the gravity pulled me down then I fell on my back. "GAH! Oww...", I grimaced in pain.

"Arf!", the puppy licked my face happily with its small tongue as a gesture of gratitude.

"Well, I guess all that matters is you're safe haha!", I ruffled its brown-furred head. "Okay, now...how do I get up?", I questioned while still lying on the ground, completely frozen.

"Niraaa!! Oh,Nira! You're safe!", an 8-years old boy came running and picked up the puppy from my loosened arm. "Thank you so much, miss!", he smiled in relief while hugging Nira, which I presumed the puppy's name, tightly.

"You're welcome...but, can you please help me get up...I'm kind of stuck here ahahaha....", I laughed awkwardly to restrain myself from groaning.

"Yes!", the boy held out his hand which I used as a support to pull myself up. "O-ouch...my back is hurting...", I moaned.

"Onee-san, use this. I got it from my gramp. Onee-san can keep it since there's not much left. Gramp said it is SO effective for bruised or swollen injury!", the kid handed me a small dark-brown-coloured glass bottle. It was so dark that I could only see a glimpse of the liquid inside.