The Middle (Part 2)

(Y/N)'S POV
Feeling my phone buzzing as the alarm goes off, I stir around on the comfortable bed. My hand aimlessly reaches my phone beside the fluffy pillow to turn off the alarm. Letting out a few grunt, I force myself to sit up from the warm sheets. With messy hair, I yawn and rub the sleepiness from my eyes. Taking my phone, I checked the time. 6:00 a.m.

"I should get ready first...", I mumbled to myself as I got off the bed and made my way around the dimmed room. Hana is still sleeping soundly on her bed while I take my time to freshen up and get ready. As I planned before, I woke up early to take my time walking around the hotel. Just after I walk out of my room that I shared with Hana, my eyes locked with another pair of eyes that stand outside of the room opposite mine. Knowing that Haiji resided in the room, I decided to greet him. It might be rude if I keep on staring at him when we already locked eyes for a few seconds.

"Good morning, umm... Do you have any business with the person who resides in that room? Ah, I'm sorry for suddenly asking", I bowed after closing the door to my room as I stood a few meters in front of him. He smiles and shakes his head.

"No, it's okay. You are Haiji's friend right? Nice to meet you, I am his sports doctor. I need to prepare some medicational for him", he explained. I have other questions regarding the preparation but I decided to keep it inside for now.

"Is that so... Then, let me call him for you. Haiji-san should be awake by now", I said with a welcoming smile and take the honor to knock on his door, receiving a thanks from the doctor. "It's me Haiji-san, your doctor has arrived", I said. A muffle yes could be heard from inside the room then the door opened, revealing a smiling Haiji in his blue uniform.

"Please come inside, doctor. Thank you, (Y/N)-san", Haiji welcomed the doctor in and about to close the door when I stopped him.

"I'm getting inside too", I look him straight in the eyes as my hands hold the door.

"Okay, you may", Haiji kept his smile though I could tell he is reluctant to let me in. After taking off my shoes, I walk inside to where the doctor is preparing his medicinal stuff while Haiji sits at the corner of his bed with his pants rolled up to his thigh.

Without exchanging any words, the doctor began checking his leg, near the area of his right knee. Haiji didn't spare me a glance as he kept watching the doctor do his stuff on his injured leg while I watched the whole scene, standing a few feet from them. He gave Haiji a few tablets which he took without further question.

"This painkiller is permitted in-competition. It will suppress the pain and inflammation. I can't tell you not to push yourself but no matter what happens-", he was about to finish when Haiji cut him off.

"I have teammates who brought me this far. I'm prepared", Haiji said with closed eyes. His expression remains calm but determined. The doctor couldn't say another word as he looked down in defeat.

"I have done what I could. Then, I'll take my leave. Good luck on the race", the doctor packs up his stuff and stands up. He gives me a nod which I reply with a bow of gratitude before he walks out of the room. The moment the door shut close, I immediately made my way to Haiji.

"Why... you told me that it should be fine and you definitely will be in good condition for a few more races. You hid something from me right?", I asked. My head hangs low to hide my current expression. Haiji didn't reply as he kept his eyes down. Gritting my teeth in frustration, I reached down to clutch on his collar. The force caused him to look up and meet my eyes. His eyes widen at the expression he sees on my face.

"I want to see you running in the future... I don't want to see you hurting anymore...", I managed to speak out the words through my wavering voice. The tears that I held threaten to fall from my eyes. My eyebrows knitted hard to contain my feelings from spilling out.