Future Job

The bustling noise of people greeted me as I walked into the cafeteria. People munching and slurping, chatting endlessly, laughing or giggling. The usual atmosphere in every dining area. Some familiar faces could be spotted. My classmates, senior or junior, and the Aotake guys? I decided to go buy my lunch first then head to the table they were seating.

"Heyo, guys", I greeted them with a peace sign. They all turn towards me simultaneously at my greeting. "Can I sit with you guys?", I pointed to the empty seat in front of Yuki where I'm currently standing behind it.

"Yes, please take a seat (Y/N)-san", Shindou said as the others were still munching their food.

"Thank you", I said as I took a seat. Wasting no time, I unwrap the onigiri I brought just now and take a bite out of it. When I noticed their gaze on me, I asked them. "What? is there something on my face?", I said after swallowing the food.

"Don't tell me that's all for your lunch?", Yuki asked me in disbelief.

"Yeah, I have class after this so I don't want to feel too full", I answered and took another bite.

"If it were me, I can't have enough with just that", Jota commented. Joji nodded in agreement.

"Well, I forgot my bentou and I'm already used to this amount. Two or three onigiri is enough as a lunch", I said. This time, they have a worried expression. "Ah, how's the training so far? I bet Haiji-san has increased the practice, right?", I said, changing the topic.

"Well, he did. But, King-san didn't join us lately", Musa said with a sad face.

"That's right, he's been busy searching for a job", Joji added.

"Also, we don't have any budget for the club", Shindou sighed.

"I guess there's no helping it with an abandoned club like us", Yuki said as a matter of fact. He did have a point. I've never heard of Track and Field Club before.

"Then... how about some advertisement?", I suggested as an idea crossed my mind. They all look up to me in a flash. "No- because, people still don't know much that the club is active or even existed. So, why not we advertise it? It's just my opinion though", I explained clearly. They become silent for a moment, processing what I had said. "I-its okay to not think about it now. Then, I'll go first. My class is quite far from here so see you guys later", I get up and fix my bag. Waving to them, they bid goodbye back and continue eating. "Good to know they're all working hard for the club", I muttered. A soft smile formed on my lips as I walked towards my class.

🍃

As I was making way back to the parking area with the groceries I brought from the market, my eyes caught the hunched figure of King. We were walking in the opposite way but it seems he is too caught in his own thoughts that he doesn't even notice he had walked past me.

"King-san!", I called out to him before he could walk further away. He turned around and looked kind of shocked when he saw me. "Good evening, are you on your way home?", I greeted him as I walked near him.

"Y-yeah", he replied, not meeting my eyes. Guessing from his formal attire, it seems he just got back from job hunting.

"Ne King-san, I am amazed at how you worked hard in finding a job", I started, catching his attention.

"No, this is normal though. Job is something we have to do after all", he said in fact.

"Well, I'm kind of jealous of you since I don't even have a future job. Let alone work hard to find a job", I scratched my cheek with a smile.

"What's the use of working hard when no one wants to accept you", he scoffed. King who's usually awkward around me has snapped. "I heard your grade is quite good so I don't think you have to worry about your future job. I bet you can even choose whichever offer you get", King smirk, adding some remarks as he folded his arm across his chest.