Her Past

THIRD PERSON'S POV
Haiji brings the vegetables he had picked to the counter where Hana is tending. Both of them chatted about the morning practice, which Hana had helped while Haiji put in the vegetables he bought into his shopping bag. Then, a voice spoke interfering on their conversation. Katsuta, the owner of Yaokatsu, joins in their conversation when mentioning Hana's story about Kakeru. He even offered his help to Haiji whenever needed. Suddenly the topic changed when Hana mentioned (Y/N)'s name.

"I was also surprised when (Y/N)-nee said she'd joined in the morning practice once a week too! She never did things like that before so I'm quite shocked back then!", Hana chimed in.

"Eh, she never?", Haiji asked curiously.

"That's right, she came to live with us one month ago but I never saw (Y/N)-nee do physical activities. She always would do some studying or doing indoor activities only. There's also times when she'd take a stroll.", Hana explained.

"That girl has been living by herself before coming here. Ever since her parents died, she said she wanted to live by herself then will come live here in her third year. We are step-siblings and did contact once in a while but she really knows how to blend in. Though I feel like she hasn't fully expressed herself this one month before, I'm glad to know (Y/N) is out and even made some activities with her friends now", Katsuta nodded with a smile. Haiji listened intently to their stories about the young woman.

"Is that so? Then, I'm glad to be of help somehow. We just met by accident though", Haiji smiled nonetheless.

"Yeah, I'm also sorry if (Y/N) ever burdened you. She can be clumsy sometimes", Katsuta rubbed his nape as he chuckled lightly. Haiji nodded in response.

"Then, I'll take my leave first. Thank you for having me. See you again, Hana", Haiji bowed a bit as he took his leave from the vegetables shop. Hana waved back while Katsuta nodded before they continued doing their job.

As Haiji walks on his way back home, his mind keeps on thinking about (Y/N). Hana told me that she is her auntie though they are step-family. Her parents died a few years ago and she had been living alone while attending classes in Kansei University. She came here one month ago but rarely went out which explained why I never saw her before. I'm sure there's something more that makes her seem so lost. The sparks she mentioned must have involved her previous sport activity.

"...I still have a lot of things to know about (Y/N)-san", he muttered unconsciously. Without him realizing it, Haiji's interest in the young woman whom he met a week ago has increased within the time. Fate has done its work in creating the encounter between the two protagonists. Sparks will eventually light up again in (Y/N)'s empty heart. And Haiji will be the one to show her the true meaning of hope.

(Y/N)'S POV
"hmmm....", my eyebrows furrowed hard as my mind is working hard trying to understand the management of the health system topic. The content is about how to manage good health services in an organization in order to help the communities. "I see... seems like we need a strong mentality and good in organising problems. Too many theory...", a heavy sigh left my lips as I slump my head in the book that I'm holding. Scratching my scalps, I get up from the chair and open the window of my room. The gentle wind kisses my skin as I lift up my head to see the dark sky.

"There are barely any stars, is it going to rain tomorrow?", I asked while staring up at the sky. To think that Haiji-san is close with Nii-san and Hana all this time, even I didn't expect that.

🍂

"So (Y/N)-nee, how long did you know Haiji-san? Hurry up and tell me, please?", Hana immediately pestered me after dinner. I turned to her with a troubled expression but she still had that sparkling eyes, waiting eagerly for me to tell her as I promised in the morning. I got no choice but to tell her the story of our accident, leaving the 'smelly' part and the rest that were important.