CHAPTER 6

For the next rehearsal, I'm feeling so much better. Louis has been taking care of me for two days and we haven't stopped watching episodes of "Friends" and playing the guitar in between. Unquestionably, he has made my ill days fun.

We are all five sitting on the carpet and deciding whether we should play more than one song collectively. At first, I thought it was a good idea, but after twenty minutes with no actual agreement, I'm starting to think it would be better if I just sang with Louis. I mean, a duet is pretty cool too, isn't it?

I'm sitting next to Louis and his knee is brushing my leg. I don't know where our friendship exactly is standing but my fingers are tingling to touch him. He looks at me and raises his eyebrows as if he couldn't believe the difficulty to choose a damn song. I was also getting tired of it. Liam and Zayn were the reason for our delay. They couldn't stop arguing about everything.

I get closer to Louis and I feel he gets aware of my closeness, nonetheless he doesn't move away. That makes me feel bold and my arms once resting on my legs, move closer to Louis'. I don't look at him, but I feel he lowers his head and watches attentively, and on the sly he moves his to get it in touch with mine. I can't believe how just the mere touch of his on my naked arm can make me feel this rush of feelings. We keep our arms together, not moving, not brushing. I have stopped listening to the conversation and the only ones who are actively participating in it are Liam, Niall, and Zayn.

I'm feeling so victorious for the fact that my little daring has gone unnoticed, that I move slightly my arm getting a little brush. That triggers Louis and he stiffs, I stop immediately but then, it's him who moves his arm against mine. A little smirk escapes from my mouth. But then it falls, when I get a glimpse at Niall and I see he's looking at me with a cheeky smile. Shit. I refuse to spoil the contact between Lou and I, so boosting my courage, I look at him defiantly and his smiles widens considerably. I'm screwed.

I have been so disconnected from the conversation that I only get back to it when Zayn raises his voice.

-You have no fucking idea of what you are saying. That is bullshit. -I don't even know what he's referring to, but everyone has fallen silent.

That seems to trigger Liam who stands up abruptly and confronts Zayn. Zayn aware of the threat, he stands up too and now both of them are looking at each other with murderous eyes. We stand up to stop any violent act but it's Niall who gets between the two of them.

-Guys, What the fuck? Can you calm the fuck down?

-This little shit has no right to talk to me like that. - Liam retakes the argument. That causes Zayn to push Niall aside and get closer to Liam.

-Who are you calling little shit?

This is heating up. Louis gets closer to Zayn and grabs his shoulder trying to calm him down. I, instead, get next to Liam and Niall is again in the middle of them two.

The door suddenly opens, and the manager gets in. He wasn't expecting seeing us like that and the rage in his eyes crack open.

-What the fuck is going on in here?

Both Liam and Zayn get self-aware of the situation and they separate from each other. The tension in the room is palpable.

-I'm only going to say it once. - Martin says, massaging his forehead. -I don't pay you to behave like bloody five years old playing in the play garden. I don't give a shit about how friendly you are with each other but deal and cope with it. I don't want problems; did I make that clear?

We nod.

-Alright then. Now, show me what you already got prepared.

***

So, we do. And by the last song we play, Martin looks more relaxed. He likes what we have.

When we are left alone, the tension built just by Martin's presence and his watch seems to ease a little. We silently agree that we deserve a break, and everybody disperses.

Zayn and I are the only ones remaining in the room. I've always hated conflicts and this tension is unbearable. I approach to Zayn who is now typing on his phone. When he sees me getting closer, he put his phone aside and nods his head as a salute.

-Hey.

-Hey. -He greets me and taps the carpets for me to sit next to him.

-How are you doing? – I don't really know how to start the conversation.

-Good. You?

-Good. Umm...Listen... Sorry for asking that, and I know it's none of my business, but this thing between you and Liam must stop. I don't know what happened, if you two already knew each other or something, but it's just not good for the group. You know?

-I understand. -Zayn bends his legs.

I study his face, and I see that he's conflicted, his frowning and his mouth is twitched.

-If you need anything, someone to talk to or anything really, you can call me if you want. - Zayn's eyes relax at my words and as I'm standing up, he grabs my arm to make me sit again.

-Do you want to hang out tonight?

The question pops up out of the blue. I wasn't expecting him to be the first one of the boys who would ask me to go out. Zayn apart from all the "Liam matter", was very quiet. At first, I thought it was all about shyness, but not really, I think is more about introversion and maybe he really needed someone to talk to.

-Sure, what's the plan?

-I was thinking about beers and videogames... sounds good?

-Hell yeah. - I laugh. -Are you thinking about inviting the rest of the boys?

He lifts a shoulder. -I would like to keep it low-key at first. I'm not very good at making friends.

-Sure. Send me your address and I'll go. We can order some pizzas. - I offer.

-With a lot of cheese. -He adds.

-Of course. – I say as if it was obvious and that makes him laugh. -What videogames do you have? I'm not an expert in the matter but I like to know who I'm dealing with...- I tease him.

-Mate, you are speaking to a professional.

-Alright, alright... We'll see that tonight. -I tease.