CHAPTER 28

After the bath and having a quick lunch, we're now laying on the carpet oblivious to the existence of the sofa next to us. The fire on the fireplace heats up our almost naked bodies. There's barely a t-shirt and some pants covering our nakedness, but honestly, the microclimate that we've built up in this room keeps us away from the cold.

The soft melody that comes out from the guitar when my thumb runs across the strings has left us both drowsy. I'm lying down in his lap, blatantly asking for affection that he gladly gives me. He rubs my already dry hair with his hands as I just feel him while I have my eyes closed. There's no better place to be than this right here and right now.

-Are you falling asleep? -He asks me. I feel his face close to mine and I know he's bending himself to check if my eyes are closed.

-I was. -I answer.

-Move away the guitar. -I open my eyes and I stop playing. The music ceases and the only thing that I hear is Louis' breathing.

His whole body is bended and he's supporting the weight of his body with his elbows to get a better sight of me.

-What? -I ask as I catch him staring at me.

-You look so cute over here and I can't even witness it.

I laugh. I turn around and I lay on top of him. I sit with my legs across his torso and all my body leans to him. I cup his face and I kiss him on the lips biting his bottom lip as I break apart from him again.

-Could you do that again? -He asks me tightening his grip around my hip.

-I totally could. -I lean back but this time I kiss him on the neck, and I leave a trail of kisses along his jaw till I get back to his mouth. His reaction is not something I expect to happen. He grabs my waist, and he turns us around leaving now Louis on top of me. I can't help but laugh when he assaults my lips again. Nonetheless, the moment his head lowers, and he starts kissing the spot under my ear, my laughter fades.

-Lou. -I call his name while my hands travel to his pants and I help him remove them. On the other hand, His hands take the hem of my t-shirt and he takes it off in seconds. The moment the t-shirt is gone, his mouth is back.

We become a tangle of limbs on the carpet yearning for the touch of the other. Our breathings go faster as the time passes and the only thing that makes us stay grounded is the creaking of the fire and the noise of our gasping. Other than that, we don't even realize when the sun sets, and the room darkens.

***

The night is cold. I don't know how we've ended up both of us sitting on the roof of the house when there is a lovely fireplace on the first floor.

It's not snowing anymore but everything remains white while Louis and I are wrapped in the thickest blankets we've found. Our breaths come out of our mouths as steamy clouds but the view we have in front of us is totally worthy. Pine trees and other kinds coated by snow cover the horizon while the smoke from the chimneys of neighbouring houses gives the atmosphere a Christmas touch. Due to the lack of contamination, we're able to see plenty of stars above us.

I get closer to Louis as he rounds my back with his arm. My head leans into his shoulder and we remain like that, just both of us among the creaking sound of the cicadas and feeling the warmth of each other's bodies.

-We should do this at least every two weeks. -I suggest turning my head to look at his face. I can't see him properly because of the lack of light but the moon lights his face slightly enough for me to know that he's smiling at the idea.

-Yeah. Every two weeks, we could escape everything and just be the two of us in this random place.

-Sounds great. -I'm beaming with the thought.

The whole thing receives a new meaning when I'm with Louis. Everything turns fuller and richer.

These past months have been crazy. I've felt so lost. Lost in my own thoughts and all the whirlwind of events between us two and the job. Nonetheless, I realized as everything passed by, that being in love means that at some point you get lost. You lose all the control. Hearts may get broken and everything gets rough, but when everything goes away and you're just holding the hand whose person you adore the most, you know deep down that everything is going to be alright.

You must be brave to get to the point when you just know that to keep the one you want; you must fight and not give up. And when you know, you know.

We could keep lying. We could keep pretending. Maybe the same stories were doomed to be repeated, even if we didn't want to. But all along, it was pretty clear that there was no lie in our fire. There was no lie behind our masks.

Sometimes you just have to wonder and to look through the glass to know that in our case, we are still going strong.