Chapter 1: Emails

March 15, 2012

Hello Kim Namjoon,

We from Mensa International would like to inform you that we have a new member we would like to partner you up with as a pen pal.

You are receiving this email because you signed up to be included in the Intellectual Stimulating Conversation Pen Pal program when you were admitted into our society after your IQ tested high enough. If it is still of interest to you, please respond to this email and we will forward your information on to your pen pal so they can get in touch.

Thank you,

Mensa International

--

March 31, 2012

Hi Kim Namjoon,

My name's Cassiopeia, but I got by Cas cause it's easier. I've been partnered with you through the pen pal program with Mensa.

I guess some quick information about myself is in order. I live in the US. They told me you live in South Korea and know English. I really hope the second part of that is right or this is gonna become awkward really quick.

Anyways. I'm currently 15 and in the later part of my freshman year of high school. I hope it's not too weird for you that I'm two years younger than you.

I just recently got my score done. The week after my birthday at the end of January, actually. I had to wait until I was 15 as that's when you can authorize the test for yourself here in the US. I thought I might score high so didn't want my parent's or really anyone else to know cause I don't really need any other reason to be seen as different. You know? I guess I'm dancing around it cause I'm nervous that you'll get upset cause I scored higher than you and in my experiences with guys they don't react well to girls being smarter than them, but you have a right to know since I already know yours. I got scored with a 160 as my IQ.

I'm sorry that I kind of rambled on here and hope you still want to be my pen pal. If not I understand, but I could really use a friend to talk with. I promise that I'll try my best to not be annoying.

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Cas

--

April 4, 2012

Hi Namjoon,

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ACTUALLY RESPONDED!!!! AH! Okay, I'm calm, I promise. Well not really, but we can pretend. Still, it's nice to meet you, even over email.

I think it's really cool that you speak two languages. I'm pants at learning languages, math and science are really where I flourish. I can do well at memorizing and understanding a language but speaking it or writing it are near impossible for me. I already have a hard enough time spelling in English, let alone another language.

As for your questions, I really love reading. I tend to go through like 7 books a week at least. I also really enjoy baking things. I currently play lacrosse as my main sport. I'm a goalie. I don't think they have lacrosse in South Korea so if you don't know what it looks like I attached some links for you to watch in case you're interested.

What about you? Any major interests? What do you currently do to fill your time? Do other people know your IQ score? How did they react?

Talk Soon!

Cas

--

April 10, 2012

Hi Namjoon,