adrift and at peace

Running had become a type of therapy for Phoebe

Running had become a type of therapy for Phoebe. Something that she had hated and had to be dragged on in times past, had now become her saving grace. Because when the thoughts and memories got too much to bear, she tied up her trainers and let her mind focus on the icy winds whipping in her face, the solid ground beneath her feet and occasionally on the cool rain that fell on her burning skin, mixing with the sweat along her hairline.

Today was worse, the twinkling lights hung around the neighbourhood a constant reminder. No longer able to run the pain away. It was Christmas. Her first Christmas without Charlie, and without their self made family's traditions. No more takeaway Christmas dinners while huddled around their living room bingeing their favourite Christmas films.  If only she had known the last time was just that, the last time. She would have taken more photos or smiled more, laughed more, memorised it more. All the futures she had planned out in her mind demolished; she can't imagine their children being friends, spending Christmas' or boxing days together. It was all gone.

She pumped her legs faster until she realised she was coming back to the house, rushing up the porch steps she was surprised to see the front door open. She quickly checked her watch to make sure she wasn't running late. When she saw it was still the early hours of the morning, she stepped cautiously onto the last step to see Cristina and Owen appear in the doorway, standing silently opposite Derek and Meredith. Her friendly smile was replaced with a confused one once she stepped foot in the uncomfortable hallway.

"Hi?" She greeted in a questioning tone as she glanced between the four.

"Good morning." Derek replied cheerily as he grabbed the bags surrounding him to bring to his car.

She gave him a bright smile as he passed and turned her gaze on Owen in question. Owen grabbed the remaining bags and nodded his head towards the door. Phoebe quickly nodded, following him out to escape the awkwardness.

"That was pretty icy in there." Phoebe commented with a wince.

"Don't start." He laughed as he pushed her away.

"So what's happening?" She asked.

"Derek's taking Cristina fishing." He replied simply, like it wasn't completely out of the blue.

"Consensually?" She asked, only half joking. When she received only a blunt look in return she raised her hands in surrender.
"I- I was not expecting that." Phoebe stated as she paused. "Anyway, I have to get ready. See you in a few hours I guess." She added before she started back towards the house.
"Happy fishing Shepherd." She called back.

She heard Derek chuckle slightly before bidding her goodbye. Once in the house she rushed past Meredith and Cristina so she could get washed and ready for the day.