ex's & oh's

Phoebe leisurely strolled through the halls of the hospital, dodging the rushing nurses and interns, easily finding her path to the room that she was paged to

"Which nurse are you bribing to get them to page me?" she asked as she leant in the doorway of the patient's room.

"Took you long enough!" Chris teasingly sighed.

"That's because I was dealing with an actual patient that needed my help. Not a whiny man child." She explained walking further into the room.

"Terrible bedside manner." A voice commented from the open doorway. Phoebe quickly spun around to see Ethan strolling in with a supplies box, sending a slanted smirk her way.

"Oh, it's just you." She sighed before she squinted at him. "Wait. It's not you, is it?"

"Excuse me?" Ethan questioned in confusion.

"Paging me." She clarified with a slight whine.

"No. You see, I'm an adult and I can text or call you if I wanted to speak to you." Ethan jested as he set down his kit next to Chris' bed. Phoebe only made a sound of acknowledgment before looking to Chris again.

"What did you want anyway?" She asked.

"You see how she speaks to me?" Chris directed to Ethan, the nurse playing along as he shook his head and tutted.

"There you are. April was looking for..." Jackson interrupted, ducking into the room from the hallway when he noticed Phoebe's figure but his voice faded off when he realised whose room he was in.

"Jackson, hey." Chris greeted. "I didn't know you worked here too but I should have guessed, you two were always close." He added civilly but Jackson could have sworn he heard an undertone to his comment. Ethan let out a breathy laugh that went ignored as he carried on checking Chris' stats.

"Yeah." Jackson simply replied, sharing a quick glance with Phoebe as they both fidgeted uncomfortably.

"So... April wanted me." Phoebe quickly changed the topic, turning to face Jackson.

"Yeah, she said-"

"Who paged me?" Mark questioned as soon as he stepped foot into the room, seeing it already busy with doctors.

"Consultation to check out his throat. He's having-" Ethan started to explain before he was waved off by Mark who had already picked up Chris' chart. Once Mark read the name Chris Paxton, he rose his eyes to Phoebe and quirked a brow at her with an accompanying amused smirk. She quickly scowled back in the hopes off wiping the look off his face but the smug smile was glued there, as he carried on reading the rest of the chart.

The silence seemingly settled into Phoebe's bones as she slightly fidgeted with her hands to rid the tense feeling. Taking the lull in conversation as her opportunity to leave the uncomfortable atmosphere of the room, uncomfortable for her at least, Phoebe started edging towards the doorway. She spun around ready to make her escape, when she was faced with Cristina and Meredith peaking their heads in.

"Oh, look Mer, it's all Phoebe's boyfriends." Cristina announced with a smirk, earning a cackle of laughter from Meredith that only seemed to get louder when she saw the dejected look on Phoebe's face. Meredith quickly brought her hand up to silenced her laughter, sending Phoebe an insincere apologetic look. Phoebe could have cried in relief when she heard her pager go off, followed swiftly by Jackson, Cristina and Meredith's.

"Oh damn, we've got to go. Bye." Phoebe quickly called, grabbing Jackson's wrist to pull him out of the room and walking between the pair in the doorway so they could make a quick getaway. Cristina and Meredith followed behind them, all four in silence before Phoebe let out a deep, relieved breath.

"Thanks for that, by the way. So glad you're back." Phoebe sarcastically commented, looking behind her shoulder to Cristina, only erupting more laughter from the two behind her.

Back in the patient room, the residents left behind an amused Mark and Ethan who lightly laughed at Yang's comment before resuming their tasks; Ethan taking blood while Mark looked over the chart.

"So, you all dated her?" Chris asked. "I mean, I could have guessed him." He quickly added, nodding his head to the door Jackson had just exited. Remembering how close Phoebe and Jackson were when he was in her life, how he always noticed Jackson's gaze linger on Phoebe for longer than he would have wanted, how affectionate they were with each other and the jealously it spiked that Phoebe despised.

Ethan let out a low chuckle and shook his head as he carried on taking his blood.
"We're just friends." He assured.

"But I'm better friends." Mark added smugly as he impatiently waited for Ethan to finish so he could check over the patient.