death and all his friends

Phoebe and Lexie carefully travelled the halls of the hospital with the trolley of supplies between them, Phoebe at the front was glancing around every corner and leading Lexie towards the room she was told Alex was in

Phoebe and Lexie carefully travelled the halls of the hospital with the trolley of supplies between them, Phoebe at the front was glancing around every corner and leading Lexie towards the room she was told Alex was in. A figure suddenly turned the corner causing Phoebe to abruptly stop, the man was in plain civilian clothes and she couldn't recognise his aged face.

"S-sir, you shouldn't be here, you need to go into a room and hide. I-it's not safe." Phoebe advised as she took a delicate step towards him, concern covering her face.

"I know." He simply replied as he lifted his hand, the glint of the gun caught her eye and she reversed her step and held her hand up behind her to Lexie, signalling for her not to move. Lexie peered over Phoebe's shoulder having recognised the voice and when she saw the gun her breath escaped her and she muttered out. "Oh Mr Clark."

Phoebe's head whipped around to Lexie when she addressed the shooter by name, and tried to take a step to cover Lexie from sight.

"I didn't plan to shoot all those people." Mr Clark stated, his voice was weary with unshed tears in his unwavering eyes.

"O-of course you didn't. You were sad, you were grieving." Lexie said gently with a shake in her voice, trying to diffuse the man with the gun.

"I only planned to shoot Dr Shepherd. And Dr Webber. And you."

Lexie lost her breath when he said this, all words flew from her mind and she could not find any words to articulate her fear, anything to stop the bullet from coming towards her. Her thoughts flew to Alex, to the nurse that she couldn't save lying dead on the floor, those bullets were for her. At Gary's words tears sprung to Phoebe's eyes, her eyes frantically searched the halls for a way out, a way to save them from the unstable man standing in front of them with a gun.

"You unplugged the machines. Your hands killed my Alison." Gary explained, eyes glimmering as they remained intently on Lexie. Mr Clark raised his run to Lexie but Phoebe stood in the way.

"M- Mr Clark I- I..." Phoebe tried to think of something to say, something to save them but her mind came to a blank.

"Are you a surgeon?" Mr Clark asked blankly.

Phoebe let confusion encase her face as she faintly nodded and Mr Clark's gun focused on Phoebe.

Both girls closed their eyes and Phoebe held out her hand behind her back which Lexie clung on to. A shot rang out and Lexie fell to the floor, dragging Phoebe down as well. Phoebe crawled over to Lexie and checked that she was okay before they peeked around the cart to see Mr Clark laying on the ground. A swat member was kneeling on the stairs and signalled for them to move.

Mr Clark began to get to up and the girls got to their feet, and grabbed the trolley. Phoebe pushed the trolley to Lexie and whispered, "Run." Before Phoebe quickly turned in the other direction and ran, hoping to disorientate Mr Clark as two doors fell closed as once.