no shame

The spattering sound of falling water played throughout the quiet apartment as the hot water of the shower steamed up the mirrors inside

The spattering sound of falling water played throughout the quiet apartment as the hot water of the shower steamed up the mirrors inside. The serene tranquility of the apartment was disturbed by the loud slamming of the front door. The sound of the shower quickly overtaken by the heavy, stomping footsteps of Charles and Jackson who dropped their belongings at the door and walked in further to their apartment. Jackson went straight for the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge while Charles went to the locked bathroom door.

"Phoebe, get your lazy ass out of the shower. You've had all day, slacker." Charles called out loudly accompanied by his repetitive banging on the door. Jackson laughed from where he was leaning on the counter, the open apartment giving him a view of the bathroom doors, as well as the three bedrooms.

The door to Phoebe's bedroom swung open, gaining both of the men's attention as their heads whipped in the noises direction. Phoebe leant on her doorway and looked to Charles with an unimpressed stare. Charles' eyes widened and his hand paused mid-air as he was about to knock again.

"Yeah, that's not me." Phoebe pointed out in amusement at their dumbfound expressions. Suddenly the silence heightened as the water cut off and Charles rushed away from the door and into the kitchen. After a moment the bathroom door opened and Ethan emerged, dressed in sweats and a t-shirt, rubbing a towel over his wet hair. His eyes met Phoebe's first from her spot in her doorway and they grinned at each other before Ethan turned his attention to the men in the kitchen. His eyes settled on Charles as he nodded his head to the bathroom.

"It's all yours." Ethan advised smiling when he heard Phoebe cackle from behind him as Charles' face heated up.

"Thanks." Charles muttered as he passed Ethan, so he could grab his towel from his bedroom. Passing Phoebe on his way, he pushed her into her room which only caused her to laugh harder.

"That was great." Phoebe sighed happily once Charles had hidden away in the bathroom. Ethan had gone into her room to grab some socks so Phoebe joined Jackson in the kitchen grabbing her own drink.

"So I guess I don't have to ask what you did in your day off." Jackson commented, trying the stifle the pit of jealously nagging away at his stomach as he noticed her dressed in an oversized t-shirt that he didn't recognise, her shorts only slightly showing underneath.

"I mean you can, but I don't think you'll want to hear about it." Phoebe laughed, her back turned to him as she searched through the cupboards, not seeing his face fall.
"We were going to make some dinner, do you want some?" Phoebe asked, turning to face Jackson.

"You're cooking?" He asked with a mixture of disgust and fear.

"Hey!" Phoebe whined but she couldn't argue any further as he was kind of valid in his horror.

"Jeez Phebs, I thought you liked the guy, didn't realise you were trying to kill him off." Jackson teased her, his smile widening when he saw her pout.

Ethan then walked into the room, laughing when he heard Jackson's comment which only worsened Phoebe's saddened expression. Ethan wrapped his arm around her shoulder, pulling her into him slightly and dropped a quick kiss to her forehead.
"It's okay, we can make pasta or something. It'll be easy." Ethan murmured, trying to reassure her but Phoebe's face held a hesitant expression.

"I think you're underestimating how bad she is." Jackson laughed, Phoebe nodding up to Ethan in agreement with her roommate.

"Okay, how about I cook and you can just keep me company?" He compromised.

"I can do that." She grinned, pecking his lips before hopping up into the counter.

"Will Percy have some?" Ethan asked as he grabbed the pan Phoebe had got out.

"Sure, he'll eat anything." Phoebe shrugged.

"Exc-" Jackson started.

"Yeah, except what I make, I get it Jackson!" Phoebe finished for him, mimicking his voice. She grabbed a spatula that was on the side and threw it at him as he'd moved to the couch in the living room. He easily ducked and just smirked back at her. Ethan laughed at the pair as he started cooking, shaking his head at their antics.

"What about you Avery, you want some?" Ethan called over to him. Jackson hesitated for a moment but when his eyes met Phoebe's he nodded with a small smile.

"Yeah, if you guys don't mind." Jackson replied politely.

"Not at all. Come from a big family so I don't know how to cook for two people anyway." Ethan jokingly explained. Phoebe quickly falling into a faux Italian accent to tease him with as he expertly manoeuvred his way around their small kitchen.

Once Charles was out of the shower, Jackson took his place. By the time the food was ready everyone was leisurely dressed and sat around the living room. With the boys scattered across the couches, the arm rests acting as their tables, and Phoebe sat cross-legged on the floor in front of their coffee table they put on a random quiz show. They all settled into a comfortable silence, entranced by the show, with the occasional shout of what they thought the correct answers were. Once Phoebe had finished her food, she retreated back on to the couch, shuffling cosily into Ethan's side. The couple sat on the couch adjacent to Charles and Jackson and from where he was sat, Jackson could see the pair cuddled together from the corner of his eye. He tried to ignore the flare of pain that rose in his chest when he saw them whispering and laughing together, knowing that if Ethan wasn't there Phoebe would be at his side. It would be his arm wrapped around her shoulders, making her laugh. He hadn't realised he'd been staring until Ethan glanced up and met his eye, Ethan sent him a nod and Jackson whipped his head back around to the tv, hoping the room was dark enough to hide his flushed face.

Phoebe, unaware of the awkward interaction, let out a sigh as she happily sank deeper into the sofa. She was surrounded by her closest friends and the guy she was possibly falling for and they were all getting along. She looked away from the screen to look to her friends of the other couch, Charles was enthralled by the show, the light reflecting off of the tv displaying his content smile. Her eyes moved over to Jackson as they travelled his face, noticing the blushed tint of his face. His eyes suddenly met her own and she let her gaze linger on his own, sending him a smile which he mirrored, noticing her stalled gaze. It was stuck on him much like his were drawn to hers. She was broken out of the trance when she felt Ethan shift next to her and she focused back on to the show, confusion clouding her mind on what just happened.

Jackson's mind couldn't stray from her, even when his eyes were trained on the tv. He'd had a good night but it was getting harder to ignore the dull ache he felt when he saw Phoebe and Ethan together. What was worse was that Ethan was a nice guy. He couldn't even hate him, I mean he was going to try to but it would be hard. Once they changed the channel, he excused himself as being tired after his shift but he knew that if he sat there any longer he'd end up saying too much.