sanctuary

She hadn't even had her morning coffee yet

She hadn't even had her morning coffee yet. A child was screaming in her ear and she hadn't even had her coffee to soften the blow.

Phoebe was stood to the side of a 3-year-old boy's hospital bed in the middle of the ER. The parents were holding the child down so that she could put in his IV but it was not going well. He had tears and snot running down his face as he screamed like he was a victim in a 90's slasher movie. The flailing limbs were making it significantly more difficult for Phoebe to do her job, not to mention they hurt.

"March, we need it a bit quieter in here." Owen yelled from across the ER, trying to control the bleeding on a car wreck victim.

"Yeah, I'm trying." Phoebe called back.

She got the IV in and the mother managed to soothe the child enough so that his screams turned into whimpers and the occasional sniffle. Just when she thought the worst was over, the child lent over and threw up all over Phoebe's scrubs, and started crying once again.

"Can I get some help over here?" Phoebe called out as she took a step back, Arizona rushed over seeing the mess.

"March, I've got this. You can go change." Arizona advised making Phoebe rush off with a grateful smile.

On her journey to the resident's locker room Phoebe saw Jackson and grabbed his wrist bringing him with her.

"Are you okay?" Jackson asked, confusion evident on his face.

"No." She bluntly responded.

Once they made it to the locker room, Phoebe let out an agitated groan and began to pace in front of the man. Jackson stood with an amused expression, finding the hilarity in Phoebe's distress.

"So, you want to talk about it?" He asked teasingly.
She immediately set off, her words coming out faster than Jackson could process.

"My shift started less than an hour ago and I've already got kid puke all over me. Blood I can deal with, blood I am used to but puke? No.  And that kid just kept screaming bloody murder and I think I may have lost hearing in my right ear, I mean there's a slight buzzing that wasn't there before. I just wanted to sedate the brat, I mean come on, he hit me enough times, it's like he thought I was his birthday pinata or something."
Jackson let out a loud chuckle cutting off her stress fueled rant. Phoebe let out a whine as she looked to Jackson with gentle eyes.
"I have already had the worst day. I mean look at me." Phoebe paused and signaled to her ruined scrubs. "Oh god it smells. Can you pass me another shirt? I have got to burn this." Phoebe stressed as she lifted off her scrub top and held her hand out to Jackson for another.

Jackson stood motionless staring intently at the girl as she stressed about her soiled scrubs, all he could think about was how beautiful she still looked covered in some kids puke, how adorable the crinkle in her forehead was when she was stressed. When she felt nothing touch her hand, Phoebe looked up and met Jackson's awestruck gaze. She gave him an odd look before walking over and grabbing a new shirt and pulled it over her head.