holidaze II

After a few moments, Phoebe walked out of the resident's lounge with her head held high

After a few moments, Phoebe walked out of the resident's lounge with her head held high. Despite her still slightly bloodshot eyes and the small shake of her hands that hadn't quite left her.

She was hoping to run into Lexie, to apologise for leaving so abruptly and maybe give a vague explanation. Unfortunately for her, she ended up finding Lexie, Arizona and Derek stood together at the nurses station, talking about Nicholas' case no doubt. With a deep, grounding breath Phoebe approached them. Lexie saw her first and gave her a small, gentle smile. Derek's reaction was less than kind.

"Ah Dr. March." Derek greeted in a somewhat of a condescending tone. "How nice of you to join us."

Lexie's face displayed her disapproval of Derek's words but she couldn't speak up as while being her sister's boyfriend, he was still her boss, kind of.

Arizona didn't have that issue though, "Derek." She said in a reprimanding tone, sending a caring smile in Phoebe's direction, having grown to like the girl as she'd become a friend to Callie.

"No." He said dismissing Arizona. "If you can't handle a case like this then you can't handle being a surgeon. You can't just run off and leave your colleagues to run around after you! And can't get Cristina to make up excuses for you. Now you're off this case and off my service. Go find some way to be useful."

A pregnant silence followed Derek's outburst, having been loud enough for the surrounding staff to hear and stop in place. Feeling uncomfortable, Phoebe simply cleared her throat and said, "Yes, Sir."

Without putting up a fight she walked away, avoiding eye contact with those around her. The display shocked the staff that saw the interaction, they were waiting for the fiery brunette to comeback with a witty retort. But instead she turned like a scared animal with her tail between her legs, very un-Phoebe March.

________

Phoebe did as she was told and made herself useful by doing scut work. While occasionally checking in on some of her favourite patients. Even stopping by Nicholas' room with an extra pudding cup.

By the end of her shift all Phoebe wanted to do was crawl in a ball and sleep for about 50 hours. While walking out of the elevator she was stopped by Ethan.

"Hey, so you up to grab that drink tonight?" He asked with a crooked smile on his face.

"Umm not tonight, Ethan. Maybe rain check." She said half heartedly, she barely had the energy to muster a smile.

She caught sight of Jackson in the lobby, so she waved goodbye to Ethan and walked to Jackson's side. Jackson gave her a kind, charming smile as she linked her arm through his own, resting her head on his arm, they walked out to the car to head on home.

"Happy Thanksgiving."

________

"Stupid Derek has basically blacklisted me from surgery." Phoebe ranted, while sitting on a basement gurney with Lexie.