state of love and trust

Upon stepping foot into the hospital, the trio discovered that there was an important announcement

Upon stepping foot into the hospital, the trio discovered that there was an important announcement. A meeting being held in the lobby of the surgical wing, by the one and only Derek Shepherd.

When she heard this news, Phoebe's mind instantly went to the discussion she and Hunt had with Shepherd the day prior. And to put it simply, she was freaked.

They started to walk to the surgical wing where they met Reed on the way. Up ahead Phoebe spotted Lexie walking with Alex.

Phoebe sped walked over to Lexie and instantly said in a panicked voice,
"What do you know?"

Lexie simply shrugged her shoulders, which caused Phoebe to groan. Catching back up with Phoebe, Charles, Jackson and Reed walked at her side, all of the residents sharing looks of confusion.

"Either one of you know what this big meeting's all about?" Jackson asked from behind Lexie and Alex.

"Already asked that. They've got nothing."

"I heard there was a coup. Webber's out. Shepherd's in. Is that true?" Reed added, ignoring Phoebe's comment.

"I literally just sai-"

"We know, what you know." Lexie calmly reiterated, glancing back to Phoebe with a smirk, aware of her dislike towards Reed.

"Bull. All right? Your sister's married to the guy. You expect me to believe you don't know what's going on?" Jackson accused Lexie, desperate for details which was evident in his voice.

"Don't you have your own loser friends to talk to?" Alex rhetorically asked, wanting the other residents far away from him.

"Well Lexie is my own loser friend, so shut it Karev." Phoebe replied before quickly mumbling, "Sorry Lex."

"I also heard Shepherd plans to clean house. Maybe he'll start with you." Charles added in his usual deep, monotone voice, directed at Alex. 

"Dude, I'm safe." Alex replied easily, like the idea was purely idiotic.  "The guy is my roommate. You're the ones who should watch your backs." He continued glancing back to the Mercy Wester's.

The four stopped for a second to glance at one another before rushing after Alex and Lexie.

"Why? What do you know?" Reed asked nervously with a hint of paranoia in her tone. 

"Simple math- Shepherd hates the merger, you're from mercy west, you're toast." Alex said with a sarcastic smile sent in their directions.

"Oh god." Phoebe said, her hope of keeping her job diminishing with Alex's every word. Phoebe's head started to list the other good hospitals in the area she could work at and then a second list of all the people she'd keep in touch with; the former being significantly longer than the later.
"Shepherd hates me. Karev's right. I am toast." Phoebe added, her big green eyes displaying her sadness as Charles gave her an awkward pat on the back, knocking her forward. The sadness quickly morphed into a scowl as she pinched his side.