slow motion

Lexie's day sucked

Lexie's day sucked. She had to take a woman off of life support while the husband cried and grieved at the bedside. After shedding a few tears, she let Phoebe guide her to Meredith's car where she left with her sister and brother-in-law and cried all over again.

Phoebe felt terrible leaving Lexie but she also knew it was apart of the job, one of the hardest parts, but Lexie would be better for the experience in the end, it'll make her a better doctor, a more compassionate surgeon. And she also had a nurse waiting for her at the bar. Ethan had caught her eye when she was consoling a sad Lexie so he had nodded his head to the exit, letting her know that he would wait for her across the street. And that's exactly where she found him, tucked away in a corner booth with two beers waiting on the table.

"Sorry about that." She apologised, sliding into the opposite side of the booth. Her cheeks were flushed and wisps of hair fell in her face making obvious that she'd rushed there. She smoothed down her baby hairs, pulling out her hair tie so her brown locks fell neatly past her shoulders, pausing she grinned at the man across from her when she noticed him admiring her.

"Don't worry about it. It looked like she needed you." Ethan brushed off her unnecessary apology, smiling over at her. "You're a good friend." He stated firmly like it was a fact.

"Sometimes." Phoebe said through a huff of laughter, trying to hide her blush.

"So come on, the suspense is killing me. What did you want to talk about?" Ethan asked.

"Oh, right to it then." Phoebe took a sip of her beer and let out a sigh. "So I like you, really like you. And I like spending time with you but I don't want to- god! I don't know how to word it without sounding like a guy." She stopped, throwing her hands up in frustration.

"Just say it." He laughed, amused watching her face twist attempting to find the right words.

"I'm not ready for a relationship- not that you even want one with me." She quickly added, back tracking. "But- I want us to take things slow, you know?" She sighed, finally getting to the gist of what she needed to share.

"I get that." Ethan nodded but it hadn't eased Phoebe's tense expression so he reached across the table and firmly held her hand. "Look I'm not going to pressure you into... well anything. I like what we having going on, so we can just carry on and see where it goes?" He suggested.

"I'd really like that." Phoebe smiled, intertwining their fingers. Ethan nodded happily before taking a sip of his beer with his free hand.

"So when you say go slow...does that include-" Ethan playfully flirted before he was interrupted.

"Want to have another drink at my place?" Phoebe suggested with a smirk as she eyed him over her drink.

"Definitely."