disarm

"She was there this morning?" Phoebe asked in shock, while attempting to think back to the night before and whether she had stumbled over Arizona's body when she left, but she was honestly drawing a blank

"I mean, she left and came back back but still." Callie shrugged, groaning into her coffee slightly afterwards, regretting drinking so much.

"So her usual then?" Phoebe quipped smoothly with a cheeky smirk. Callie stopped in place, delaying their walk to the main reception of the hospital.

"Ooh mean.I like it." Callie praised with a nod.

"Hey, you break my friend's heart, I get mean." Phoebe shrugged, sending a smile Callie's way.

The pair went to walk up the staircase when they noticed their friends and fellow doctors frozen, staring at the television screen. They both paused and looked towards the tv, letting the newscasters voice filter through their ears and what they heard made them stall.

Phoebe stood at the bottom of the staircase and brought her hand up, covering her mouth as she watched the scenes of the college flashing across the screen. She felt a hand gently squeeze her shoulder and looked up to see Jackson stood a couple of steps above her. She placed her cup down on the side and with her now free hand, gripped his tightly intertwining their fingers.

Jackson couldn't stop his gaze from going back to the screen displaying the horrors that still plagued his nightmares. He let his eyes fall back onto Phoebe. The way her hand held his tightly while the other cupped the side of her face, covering her nose and mouth slightly, attempting to hide from the images but not being able to look away. It was when he got to her eyes that his heart broke. Her green eyes were glassy with tears, almost overflowing but she wouldn't let them fall. He could see the pain creasing her brow as she tried to not let the images of a lost friend infiltrate her mind. Jackson took the few steps down to be at her side and, with his hand still intertwined with hers, pulled her into his chest and wrapped his arms around her neck. Phoebe buried her face in his neck, gripping the back of his scrub top tightly in her fists. That's when she let the first tear fall.

Callie looked across to Phoebe with pain in her eyes, memories replaying of seeing her walk out of the hospital with red stained hands and the empty look in her eyes.

Mark looked back at the pair, a crying Lexie in his arms and nodded seeing Phoebe safe in Jackson's arms, knowing that Jackson is who she needed right now.

"There are 15 ambulances on the way. Maybe more to come. First one is three minutes out." Hunt called out to all the doctors and surgeons gathered outside the ER, in the ambulance bay, anxiously awaiting the incoming trauma.

"People. People, our own trauma is fresh, and we are going to have feelings today, and there is no shame in that. What I want to say is, what we went through six months ago, they are going through right now, which makes them our brothers and sisters... which makes them fellow travelers, which makes them our own." Webber warmly advised, looking to all of them, taking note of the many anxious and tear stained faces.
"So to the very best of our ability, we are going to do our work first. And you're going to have your feelings later."  Webber added with a firm nod.