02

——

——

"Hey, are you done with your shift?" Kiara asked Emelina, who got out of the restroom in her normal clothes. "Yeah, why?"

"Great. Can you bring this outback by the dock for me?" Kie handed her friend a cooler filled with goods. Before Emelina could question her or protest, Kie walked away to the employee's room.

With an exaggerated sigh, Emelina walked outside with a cooler in one hand and the other fixing her sunglasses. Her feet hit the dock, and she stood there momentarily, taking in the fresh air. She placed the cooler on the ground, not really sure what to do next.

Her eyes catch an empty boat that reads HMS POGUE and she observed it for a minute before realization hits. "Kie-"

"Hi."

She turned around to find John B standing behind her. Within one blink, she was being picked up and carried in the direction of the boat. "John B put me down!"

"Can't do that. Kie's orders," he said and set her down on the boat. Kiara came to view, standing on the dock and picking up the cooler where Emelina had last left it. "Nice of you to join us, E!"

Kiara, Pope, and JJ, who appeared out of nowhere, joined John B and Emelina in the boat, where they soon zoomed out of the area before she could have thought of leaving.

Emelina sat in between John B and Kiara. Pope sat across from them and JJ manned the steering wheel. All of them looked at her. "You know if you had asked. I would've come." She broke the silence.

"Would you have?" Kiara suspiciously asked. "Maybe... if JJ hadn't pulled a gun out last night." Emelina moved her attention toward the blonde, whose back was turned against her.

"I was saving his life," JJ replied coldly. She sighed, forcing her hair behind her ears, and had no reply because he wasn't wrong. Instead, she looked around the boat and spotted some scuba gear. "Are you guys diving?"

"Yeah...." John B cleared his throat, "You know how to?"

"I mean, yeah. I learned how to dive years ago," she answered. Kiara walked over to the gear and started to rummage through it. "Doesn't matter anyway. These are all empty. You took empty tanks." She looked at John B, and he shrugged, "I—"

"This is a quarter full. That's enough for one of us."

"I love it when a plan comes together," Pope said sarcastically. Emelina furrowed her eyebrows, "Plan? What are you guys talking about?"

By this time, the boat was still at the marsh maze. The group went silent; none of them dared to look into her eyes. Emelina noticed the uncomfortable silence and knew they weren't planning to tell her whatever scheme they had. So much for being kidnapped.