12

——

——

"Listen, we have to be really quiet. I think my mom is home." Emelina whispered to JJ. Their feet carry them to the back door that belonged to her house.

She couldn't wait to get out of the sandals that were suffocating her pedicured toes. All she wanted to do was jump into her regular sets of clothing, but she had a mission, and her desire to wear something comfortable couldn't happen just yet.

"Hey, can we talk for a minute?" JJ asked, poking her shoulder.

She spun around and caught a glimpse of his blue eyes shining from the moonlight above. He shook his blonde hair and brushed it back with his fingertips. Now and then, she catches herself staring at him, and she doesn't even do it intentionally. "Yeah?"

"I guess you know I say lotta things I don't mean." he started, and Emelina nodded, a small smile forming on her lips, "Yeah, you do."

"Look, I think we should start over... I dunno, slowly start as friends?" he said. Emelina tilted her head slightly, "Are you playing with me?"

"Shut up," JJ looked down with a small smile. "So, can we call this truce? It'll at least make Kie happy." JJ stuck his hand out, waiting for it to be accepted.

It took her a solid minute to give him an answer. They were close to finding the gold, and she would hate if there were tension between them when they had bigger fish to fry. 

"Truce," Emelina accepted his hand, "but this is your only chance, okay? If you screw up next time, that's it. The truce will be broken."

"Got it... So, remind me why we're at your house and not at your mom's office."

"Well, how else are we supposed to get into her office without her keys?" Emelina asked as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Ah, I see," he said.

Emelina unlocked the door with a spare key they kept hidden underneath a gnome. She quickly stepped in, and JJ followed suit. Her eyes were set on a small rack they had on the wall used for car keys and, most importantly, her mother's office key.

"Shh," She put her finger to the lips, and they both crept over to the rack. The forbidden key laid perfectly on a hook. She grabbed it and kept it secured in her hand.

"You got it?" JJ whispered near her neck. She hadn't realized how close in proximity they were and that alone made her breathing hitched. She nodded, not turning around to face him.

She heard footsteps that didn't belong to either her or JJ. She started to panic, and in her mind, she was running out of options to avoid being caught with her mother's key.