57

——

——

The ride over to the Chateau was very quiet. Only the buzzing sound of the radio hit their ears as the truck sped down the road. All they had to do was grab the winch and leave. Simple. And she hoped he would continue to refrain from speaking.

She pulled up to the dirt driveway and JJ was already opening the door before she could put the truck in park. "This'll only take a sec. I think it's in the surf shack... Yeah, yeah. It's in the surf shack. I'll be right back."

"Okay," Emelina sighed and leaned back in her seat. He quickly hopped out but with his sudden speed and jumping spontaneously, he fell to the ground.

"I'm okay!" JJ yelled out, getting back on his feet. Emelina laughed to herself and covered her mouth with her hand.

To occupy time, she pulled down the sun visor to get a glimpse of herself in the mirror. However, a few sets of pictures fell to her lap. All of her or her with her father. She smiled at them.

She put them back, knowing that they were on a tight schedule and dwelling over old pictures was not on her plate right now.

The window was rolled down just enough for her to scream out his name, "JJ!" She waited for a response and got nothing in return.

Getting impatient, she unbuckled her seatbelt and exited the truck. "How long does it take to find a winch? John B is going to—"

Her words were cut short. A man she has never personally met before had his fist wrapped around JJ's shirt, but she knew exactly who he was. Her skin crawled at the sight of him and suddenly it was hard to breathe. "JJ..."

"Em, get back in the truck," he said calmly, his eyes boring into hers. She swallowed down the unsettling feeling aching to come up, "What? What are you..." Her voice came out so soft. She wasn't sure what to do.

JJ reversed their positions and grabbed his father's shirt and pulled him roughly in front of him, pushing him toward the truck. Luke got into the backseat without saying a single word.

JJ turned around to face her. "I need you to do something for me."

"JJ, I can't get into the truck with him. He—" She couldn't finish the sentence when he interrupted her and grabbed her arms, "Yes, you can!" His voice was sharp, out of pure anger. The opposite of her worrying position. She felt small.

"Look, you have the Island Club sticker on your truck and I need to get into the marina. There's a boat there that he can take. Can you do that for me?"

The sticker was old. She wasn't sure if it was going to work. "I think it's expired, JJ. The Twinkie is about to submerge into the water..." Emelina watched as he walked to the opposite side of the truck, "And we don't have enough time."