39

——

——

"I'd rather sit at The Chateau and get high with you guys than throw this lame party," Emelina groaned, checking names off of her list for her birthday party in weeks to come. She sat on a stool at the island with a pen and paper in hand.

"I thought last year's party was fun..." Kiara trailed on and took a bite of her breakfast fruit. Emelina shook her head, "You let the boys crash it. I was so mad." she chuckled, thinking of the memory.

"You were complaining how bored you were and JJ was planning on crashing it anyway," Kiara told her and got up to throw away her apple.

Emelina's lips curve upwards at her words, "He always wanted to get on my nerves, didn't he? Ever since he stole my shovel from the sandbox when we were like nine."

"Hmm. I think he always liked you."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Kiara nodded, "I remember catching him staring at you when you were taking orders at The Wreck."

She looked down because she too did notice JJ throwing glances at her once and while. She built up hatred prevented any interaction with him or the other Pogues, so she set out to ignore them for the rest of her life no matter how many times they whistled her over. Until the day Kiara finally convinced her, of course.

"Well, he didn't do a great job showing that he liked me," Emelina said, adjusting her spot a bit. Kiara shrugged, "That's JJ for you."

Emelina continued to check off names and discard ones she wasn't fond of, bringing the conversation to an end. Kiara sat next to her, "Why are you inviting half of the school, anyway? I thought you and I agreed to hate them."

"My mom is forcing me," she answered, "You know, have the best party that'll have the town talking for days."

"I'm sure a girl's 17th birthday party won't come up at a family dinner table." Kiara pointed out. Emelina laughed in response, "Well, you know how my mother is. Always do what Eleanor wants."

"And that's exactly what you're going to do. I have a dress laid out for you on your bed for dinner tonight." Emelina's mother walked right into the kitchen and her eyes scanned around, "Hello, Kiara."

Kiara greeted her back and Emelina sat there in surprise. "Mother, I didn't think you'd be home so early. What dinner are you talking about?" she asked her with a more respected voice.

"I have someone I'd like you to meet. The Thorntons will be attending as well. I made sure Topper's tie matches your dress."

"Topper?" Emelina widened her eyes, "He's... He's going to be there?"

"Yes. Don't act all surprised. You two are together, are you not? I thought I told Marylin to inform you."

Emelina caught Kiara's bulging eyes and she chose to ignore them. She forced a smile on her lips, "I haven't seen her all morning... but I'll see you tonight."