29

——

——

Chills ran up her spine when her feet moved closer to the home of the Chateau. A month had passed since she entered here, but to her, it felt like years.

Emelina stepped onto the porch, aiming to twist the doorknob when a lockbox hung on it, leaving it locked until opened. She sighed, a thought coming to her head to find her mother's login information to release the code for the key. She decided against it.

She ran her fingers through her hair, the wind rushing in between each strand. Clambering down the steps, the window on the side of the house was wide open, and underneath it was a rock as a substitute for a stepping-stool.

"Might as well break another law," Emelina whispered to herself as she stepped into the abandoned home. She jumped right in with a soft thud, and straightened her body up, and viewed the living room.

It looked the same as it did before, and it seemed like nobody bothered to take out the furniture. She preferred it that way, almost feeling like John B never vanished at all.

The sunlight glinted on a picture frame and Emelina immediately picked it up to observe. John B and Big John stand there with big smiles as if they were the happiest beings on earth. Her lips curved upwards at the sight and wished they both could come back. She never personally met Big John, but she saw him a few times as the years went by. At the time, she had no idea how much his son would have impacted her.

Her head perked up when hushed voices were heard coming from the bedroom. Slowly placing the picture frame back on the side table, she crept closer to the door and swung it right open.

A girl laid on the bed, with a shirtless JJ on top, giving her sweet kisses on her face and possible whispered words to ease the tension. Emelina felt her body freeze up, her finger barely clinging onto the doorknob that let her see this.

She hadn't recognized the girl but concluded she was picked up at a local party that seemed to be thrown daily. JJ whipped his head around to witness the intruder, and his eyes go wide, feeling as if he was caught doing something he shouldn't.

Emelina didn't say anything and instead, she spun back around, closing the door after her, and sprinted out of the house as fast as she could. This time, however, she unlocked the front door to avoid jumping out the window.

"Emelina—wait!" JJ called after her, but she ignored and ran straight out down the stairs and back on the patchy ground. "Hey, c'mon, stop." His hand touched her shoulder, and she wished she got out faster to loosen the action of him catching up to her.

"No. You shouldn't keep that girl waiting, right?" Emelina turned around to find him slipping his shirt on.

JJ furrowed his eyebrows, "You're mad?" He seemed to be angry as if she had no right to feel those emotions.