21

——

——

"You sure he got everything?" Kiara asked, dangling her feet on the railing that belonged to the gazebo. John B, whose back laid flat on the wooden ground, nodded. "Every bar. The whole enchilada."

Emelina sighed, burying her head in her hands. She sat near John B, her back pressed against one of the supporting beams. He had revealed that Ward figured out their plan and took the gold from the well. Everything they worked hard for was all for nothing.

John B grunted as he pulled off his cast that was previously on his arm. He leaned his head back on the lifebuoy. "Look, it's not like I expected a happy ending or some shit," he replied and tossed his cast to the side.

"Your arm needs to heal, John B." Emelina spoke up, watching the cast clatter to the floor. "It's a hairline fracture, Lina. Who cares?" he said.

"You should care." Kiara told him, "Your arm's gonna be messed up for life."

"It's fine. See?" John B held up his arms and started to wiggle his fingers.

A joint was suddenly in her view. She looked up and saw JJ handing her one from above. He was sitting on the railing, not peeping a word since John B divulged everything. She declined the offer, shaking her head.

Loud footsteps were heard down the dock. "Guys!" Pope shouted. "Oh! Oh! Oh, God. I ran all the way here." he said out of breath. Sweat stains were all over his white buttoned-up shirt. He was supposed to be at his interview.

He placed his hands on his knees, taking deep gulps of air to regulate his breathing. "You okay?" Emelina asked. He frantically nodded.

"How was the interview, Pope?" JJ asked him. "Don't ask," Pope replied immediately. Emelina frowned. After spending weeks on end hearing about this interview, she had hoped it would go well for him.

"JB..." Pope stood up, still breathing hard. "Look, I'm sorry, dude. About everything."

"It's fine." John B replied.

"But... but I don't have a lot of time, and... and I have information that is tactically relevant. So, before I had my interview, my dad said he was going down to the private airstrip to cut palms for Cameron's big plane. Because it was too heavy, it needed a longer landing strip to take off. So, I'm there sitting in my interview, thinking to myself, 'Hm. Why would Cameron need a longer airstrip to take off? What could be so heavy to weigh it down?'"

John B was sitting up now, taking in every information that Pope said. Emelina widened her eyes and JJ answered him, "Gold."

"That's right." John B said, stunned. Pope nodded and pointed his finger at him. "Exactly. Guys, this is our chance, but it leaves tonight, and we have to go." Pope told them.

"Guys, we can't give up now." Kiara jumped off the railing, a smile plastered on her face as optimism beamed through her.

"What's the plan, big man?" JJ looked over to John B.