42

——

——

"Topper?!"

Emelina winced at the sound of the judgment distinctly in their voices. John B and Sarah craved every detail of what they missed out on, so her one-month mistake had to be mentioned.

"Jesus," JJ covered both of his ears with his hands, "Can't you give a guy a warning before saying that name?"

She let it be the last thing they learned as the boat carried them through night and day on the way back to Kildare Island.

Most of the time stuck out on the couple explaining the troubles they went through in Nassau, after many scoldings from John B on how the Pogues should never separate. She did a quick Scout's Honor to keep that oath.

"Yeah... Welcome to the Kook life. You kind of have to paint the perfect picture, you know?" Emelina liked to blame it on her mother, but deep inside, she knew it was not all her fault. She voluntarily agreed for the second time when Topper asked.

"Not anymore," JJ beamed by her side, his proud grin formulating once again.

It didn't take long for the pair to put the puzzle pieces together and figure out that they were together. JJ's hand on her thigh and Emelina's flirtatious smile gave it away. They were quick to put them on the spot and tease the hell out of them.

Sarah had admitted she felt like something was there when she first entered the group. John B, however, bragged about how he knew it from the start and the number of bets he made confirmed that.

Nonetheless, they were happy for the new couple. Even John B pointed out that JJ hadn't smile that much since he rode out the perfect wave mid-storm.

The mention of surfing had Emelina and JJ sharing a knowing smile, hoping to one day fulfill their dream.

"I guess we missed out a lot more than I thought," Sarah frowned.

"All this talking got me starving. We need to grab some sort of breakfast." JJ said, standing up to stretch out his toned arms.

John B pulled the boat over to a random dock nearby and the boys set out to anchor it while the girls jumped onto the wooden structure.

"We're gonna find some food," Sarah said, grabbing Emelina's hand to pull her away from JJ, who pouted as she waved a temporary goodbye and walked away with Kiara by her side.

They walked toward the wilderness and Sarah couldn't contain her growing smile and squeezed her hand in excitement. "He really likes you, doesn't he?"

"More than likes," Kiara answered for her, strolling away with her eyes set on the ground to find anything to eat.

Emelina nodded and if she counted the number of times she smiled that day, she knew she would've lost count. The mention alone had heat rising to her cheeks. She couldn't remember a time a boy had her so smitten.