52

——

——

"Move over," Kiara ordered JJ, forcing her body in between him and Emelina, who was currently sleeping on the bed. JJ heard her footsteps the second the door opened. To him, it's an instinct to automatically wake up to the simplest of sounds.

"What are you doing?" JJ groaned and shoved a plush pillow on his face to hide the bright sunlight beaming through the windows.

Kiara ripped the pillow off of his face and prepared it for her head. "The caterers are right outside my room. They're loud."

"Caterers?" JJ muttered.

The sudden movement of Kiara laying down woke Emelina up. She fluttered her eyes open, offering a tired smile to her friend. "Hi, Kie," she whispered and threw her arm across her body to fall back to sleep.

"Dude, you just stole my girlfriend." JJ scoffed, turning his body away from the two of them. Kiara shoved him slightly and said a quick, "Happy birthday," to Emelina before closing her eyes.

"Hmm," Emelina hummed softly. Kiara kicked JJ and he sat up straight, annoyance written all over his face. "What was that for?!"

Kiara put her fingers to her lips to signal silence. "Don't you have something to say?"

"I'll have you know that I already said happy birthday when the clock hit twelve—"

"I'm trying to sleep." Emelina pulled her body up while shooting glares at both of them. "Yeah, Kie. Get out." JJ pointed to the closed door with a smile playing on his lips.

"No..." Emelina sighed and removed herself from the bed, "We should probably get up. I wouldn't want my mom to walk in and catch you guys in my bed."

The downstairs was preoccupied with caterers running around trying to prepare for the event hosted later in the evening.

Eleanor sat at the kitchen island, a coffee in hand and an article in the other. She looked up at the three figures entering the room. A smile—maybe was almost on her lips until her eyes landed on the particular blonde.

"Happy birthday, honey." Her mother left her stool and placed her hands on Emelina's shoulder to air kiss her cheek. "There's breakfast on the table for you." She then turned to Kiara for a quick greeting and glanced at JJ with hostility. Not projecting a single word to him before exiting the kitchen.

"Good morning to you too, Mrs. Clemonte." JJ flattened his lips while waving. Emelina gave him a sympathetic look, "Sorry."

He shrugged and moved over to the island where all sorts of breakfast foods were displayed. "Mm. Waffles. My favorite."

"I'm gonna go get ready. I'm not that hungry." Kiara stated after popping a black cherry in her mouth and leaving. "Okay." Emelina waved her goodbye.