51

a/n: smut warning this chapter

a/n: smut warning this chapter... cough

——

The bonfire has always been Outer Bank's tradition where everyone aligned at the same place every year. A year ago, Emelina would have never imagined she'd arrived in the Twinkie. Yet here she is.

Pope and Kiara were the first to exit the van, swiftly maneuvering around the already drunken teens. John B locked the vehicle and slipped the keys in the front pocket of his flannel before squeezing in between JJ and Emelina and throwing his arms around their shoulders.

"You guys better not make me a third wheel," he told them. Emelina pushed away his hand that began to shake her hair and mess it up, "Why don't you find that girl who gave you that note?"

"Hmm, that sounds like a solid plan." JJ nodded and pointed his finger in agreement.

John B playfully pouted, "Getting rid of me so soon?"

A random girl came by and handed John B a red solo cup and he mustered out a quick, "Oh my God, I missed you so much."

"And that's a sign for a shotgun. Em, you ready?" JJ looked over to the brunette. She nodded, the pain of her neck fading away as the days go by. The yellow bruises were still there, but it was nothing concealer couldn't fix.

"Yeah—" Her words were cut short by a cup being chucked in their direction. All three of them jumped back, then looked up at the sound of the thrower's voice. "Hey, derelicts!"

Emelina tried hard to hide the scowl forming on her face. The liquid residue from the cup left little splatters on her skin and clothes, but she said nothing as she recognized her as the note girl. "Hey, there she is!" JJ said and turned to his friend, "That's you. We're out of here. Good night."

John B stepped toward the girl and JJ slung his arms around Emelina's shoulder and guided her away. "C'mon, you still owe me a round."

"Do you think it's too soon?" Emelina asked, her eyes turning back to John B then returning to JJ. The corners of his lips curved upwards, "Didn't you kiss me right after you broke up with Topper?"

"And I'd do it again," Emelina peeled his arm off of her and stood in front of him, granting him a peck to the lips before pulling away. "And besides, that was different. My feelings for you never went away and they just met."

JJ closed his eyes for a second until he opened them again. "Sorry, I'm hearing a lot of John B and less of," His finger tapped his lips repeatedly.

She spun around to the coolers beside them and extracted two beer cans. He was frowning at the lack of kisses when she faced him. "The beer isn't gonna drink itself."

After handing him one, they both puncture a hole at the bottom and do a quick countdown in preparation for opening the tab and chugging it. The beer burned her throat, some escaping her mouth and trailing along her jaw down to her neck.