04

——

——

"Welcome to the Chateau." John B greeted with his arms open and a smile on his face. Messy, but homey. Emelina followed in after JJ, keeping her distance.

"Maybe I should invite Marylin over," she muttered to herself. Their ears caught on, so John B asked, "Who's Marylin?"

"My maid," she replied, and JJ scoff, looking at his friend with wide eyes. "Oh, she has a maid."

John B grabbed himself a soda can from the refrigerator and offered her one. She declined. "Alright, well, Kie and Pope will be over soon. Make yourself at home," he said.

JJ had wandered off to the bathroom, and Emelina stayed behind with John B to observe the place. There were lots of pictures of John B and, she presumed, his father.

She remembered when Kiara started hanging out with the boys again. John B's father was missing, and the DCS were after him. Kiara was so worried about him, so she made more trips to The Cut than usual. That was when Kiara started begging Emelina to tag along with her.

"Hey," Emelina turned to face John B and held up her joint hidden away in her bag, "do you mind if I...?"

"Nah," he replied and pointed to the porch door. "You can do it by the hammock if you'd like."

"Thanks," she replied, and before her hand touched the doorknob, she turned to him again. "Would you like to come?"

John B shook his head as he took a seat on the couch. "No, thanks. Next time you ask, I might."

Emelina smiled. "Okay."

She walked outside to the hammock, leaning on the large tree and cupping around her mouth to forbid the wind from messing up her lighter.

Once the joint was lit, she inhaled slowly and exhaled. Another day with the Pogues had put her in danger again. But oddly enough, she didn't mind one bit. She kind of loved it.

Her eyes followed down the pier to the boat she was on yesterday. Not that she would ever admit it out loud, but she could picture herself here more often. If she figured out a way to tune JJ out.

"Yo!" JJ's voice broke her out of her thoughts. Speaking of the devil. "You got a lighter?"

Emelina spun around to see him holding up his joint. "Oh, I don't know. I would assume greedy Kooks don't like to share," she replied.

"Spur of the moment kind of thing," he said, and she rolled her eyes at his lame excuse. He raised his eyebrows, "I'm serious! Those guys—square groupers totally freaked me out."

Emelina blew out her smoke and gave him a look. Not a single apology was slipped in that sentence—not that she was surprised. "Square groupers?"

"Yeah! You saw them."