09

——

——

Emelina sat at her window, her mind replaying the argument she had with a certain blonde boy that happened a few hours prior. She couldn't believe the words that were exchanged. And she couldn't believe she opened up to him during that situation.

Standing up from her seated position, she walked over to the white dresser and on the surface laid JJ's sage green cap. She had taken it the night they all danced at The Wreck, and she never returned it.

A few taps kept clicking at her window. Confused, she got up and opened it to find no other than JJ himself at the bottom of the lawn, his hands behind his back staring up at her.

She rolled her eyes, aiming to shut the window but his voice stopped her from doing so. "Wait, stop! Come on, can't you hear me out?"

"I've heard enough of you today." she told him, anger radiating off of her.

JJ sighed, flipping his red cap to the other side so his eyes weren't covered. His other hand stayed securely behind his back, "Look, I shouldn't have said the things I've said."

"Yeah, you shouldn't have. Are you done?" Emelina kept her hands on the window, threatening to close it down. Why did he come here? Does he expect me to forgive him? Emelina thought to herself.

"Can you come down? I've got somethin'." JJ pulled out a pink rose from behind his back, the stem torn at the bottom. Emelina pursed her lips trying desperately not to let a smile crack through. "Where'd you steal that from?" she asked him.

"What makes you think I stole it?"

"Because I walk through my neighbor's garden all the time. I know what flowers she plants." Emelina told JJ and he sighed, twirling the rose with his fingers. "Just come down."

Exhaling a breath, she obliged. She made her way down the stairs and out the door where she met with the pretty blonde boy. "Just because you stole a rose for me, doesn't mean I forgive you." she stated, taking the flower from his fingertips.

He licked his lips, growing silent. He's not used to this type of thing. He felt bad, but his way of dealing with problems was not like this. JJ knew Kiara wouldn't speak to him if he hasn't resolved this but he also felt drawn here. There's something special about the girl in front of him, and he was too scared to touch her because with every waking moment, he was ruining her.

"I didn't come for forgiveness, Em." he responded softly. The name he calls her was starting to warm her heart the way it used to when Topper said it, but she would never dare to admit it. She blinked a few times, waiting for him to continue.

He took a deep breath, "From the start, Kie had always admired you. She never said one bad thing, and I... I ignored them. I created my own thoughts in my head."

"Because I'm a Kook?" she cut him off and he nodded, "Yes. Because you're a Kook," JJ repeated, "and you were right about what you said earlier. You haven't proved that you're just like them—you're nothing like them and I guess I thought it was too good to be true."