05

——

——

The Redfield Lighthouse was their next destination. Emelina stared at it from below with her hands on her hips. "Right, here's what's gonna happen. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B looked at JJ.

"Wait... why me? Why not Em? She's the most useless one here." JJ pointed to her and she shot him a glare, "There's a reason why he chose you." she said, already annoyed at him.

"JJ..." Kiara sternly spoke, giving him another one of her famous glares. "It's because you're not coming," Pope told him.

"Why?"

"Look, JJ. There are independent and dependent variables. You're an independent variable. We don't know what you'll do!" Pope told him, and JJ pointed his finger at him, "Shut up!"

"Listen to me for a second. Just listen! Emelina and Pope, you stand out with JJ. Okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house." John B ordered, and Kiara nodded, "Great."

"Why would you do this to me, John B?" Emelina whispered to him, pointing back to JJ. "Sorry. The smaller the better," he told her, and then he and Kiara started walking toward the lighthouse.

"I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay, and I'm trying to keep felonies down to a minimum," Pope stated, and JJ started playing with a small hacky sack that appeared out of nowhere. "Alright, would you just shut up already?"

Emelina grabbed her bag from the van and started walking away from the two boys. "Hey, where are you going?" JJ threw his ball at her shoulder. She turned around, picking it up and tossing it back to him. "Going far away from you."

"What? You need to stay here with us and keep an eye out. Remember? That was the deal." JJ called out, but she ignored him and started walking away again.

"Come on! If the cops swing by, we'll need your pretty face to clear us out." he raised his voice, smirking. Her only response was flipping her finger at him, and she kept on walking.

"What did I do?" JJ asked no one in particular. "You mean, what didn't you do?" Pope responded with a low chuckle.

"Shut up and do your essay."

§

"I'll have one vanilla ice cream on a cone, please." Emelina smiled at the worker, leaning on the countertop of an ice cream truck. She held out her five-dollar bill, waiting for them to accept it.

"I'll have the same thing as well." A male voice jumped in, holding out his ten-dollar bill.

"What are you doing here, Topper?" she asked him, sighing. "I'm here to get ice cream," he replied and she rolled her eyes, tucking her hair behind her ear.

The worker came with two identical vanilla cones, and as she went to give them her money, Topper chipped in. "Don't worry I got it."

"Thanks... and you know what I mean. What are you doing here?" she asked him again, taking a lick from her ice cream and sighs in satisfaction. "I'm just checking on you... seeing how you've been," he answered, also taking a bite of his frozen dessert.