30

——

——

"Why did we get stuck behind the keg?" Emelina grunted, giving a fellow Kook a red solo cup filled with beer.

Kiara stood next to her while pouring the liquid into the plastic cup, "Because John B's not here to boss the boys around. And as JJ put it, he needs to reconsolidate his friendship with Pope."

Emelina rolled her eyes and began scanning the boneyard to spot the two roaming boys. She found them sitting on a log, laughing at whatever joke they spewed out. They weren't alone, though. A couple of girls crowded their area, and they too were laughing.

"Well, that's just great," Emelina whispered to herself, her insides churning as she watched a girl affectionately touch JJ's shoulder.

The feeling didn't last long when her boyfriend stepped in front of her, blocking the view of the blonde boy. "Hi."

"Hi," Emelina smiled, "I'm glad you came."

Kiara's smile faltered when Topper came to their table. She gave him a cup before Emelina could and forced a fake sweet voice, "Enjoy the party."

Topper sensed the discomfort, but to keep Emelina's wish to avoid conflict, he gladly accepted the cup and winked at his girlfriend. "I'll see you in a bit."

Kiara gagged as soon as he walked away. "You had to invite him?"

Even after their small argument, Emelina found room to forgive him for the night, but it does not mean she forgot about it.

"I could not not invite him." Emelina told her and handed another cup to a partier, "And relax, I trained him to not start problems with you guys."

"You trained him?" Kiara laughed, "What is he? Your dog?"

"Shut up."

As the party went on, more word got out and soon the boneyard was filled with Pogues and Kooks. Since school was around the corner, no Tourons were in sight. The sun had set, leaving the cool air to breeze past the drunken teens.

Emelina had left Kiara at the table to check how their spontaneous party was going and as expected, it was going well.

She felt a tug on her wrist and when she spun around, Topper was there with a grin on his lips and a cup for her to hold. "Got you something."

"What is it?" she asked, taking a sip and scrunching her nose in disgust at the mixed juices and alcohol. "This is gross. Who made this?"

Topper shrugged, "That kid Nick got ahold of their parent's secret stash. It beats better than the stale beer."

She ignored his comment about the beer and set the drink down on the sand before grabbing his hand and pulling him to the crowd of dancing teens. "Dance with me."