18

——

——

"Welcome to Crackhead Wasteland," Sarah commented while the van clambered down the dirt road. "I don't know about this, man." Pope sighed.

"Dude, why are we at Barry's?"

John B glanced at JJ for an answer as the blonde parked the van and reviewed the license he stole from the basehead. He started to open the car door, "This'll only take a second."

"Why don't you take that second and think this through?" Emelina asked him from the backseat. JJ whipped his head around and with an emotionless expression he said, "You don't know what you're talking about."

She flattened her lips, watching him exit the van without another word. John B rolled the window down and peeked his head out, "Where're you going?" he asked.

"Yo soy Justicia," JJ answered and quickly entered the home.

Emelina sighed and already felt stressed. "Did you glean anything from that?" Pope asked, his shoulder sticking outside the van a bit due to the sliding door being opened.

"You know somebody should probably—" Kiara's words faded into nothing when John B opened the passenger side door to let himself out. "Yeah, I got it." He slithered his way into the house and the van became quiet.

Emelina was the first to break herself free from the cramped area. The second she got a sense of the outside air, a huge sigh was released. The debate on whether or not to storm in the house or not did cross her mind, but she didn't want to anger him more.

"E, are you okay?" Kiara placed her hand on her shoulder and gave her a look of concern. Emelina nodded once, "Yeah, but you shouldn't be asking me that."

"I don't know what his deal is." Kiara crossed her arms. Sarah and Pope joined the two and stood outside, waiting for the boys to return.

"All right, so we're looking at about four grand each for reparations for putting us through that bullshit." JJ pulled himself out of the house with a fresh duffle bag in his hand. John B soon came out after him.

"Sorry about that, y'all." JJ finished, counting some cash he pulled out of the bag.

Kiara spoke up, "So that's what we're doing now? We're robbing drug dealers?"

"This Barry guy's gonna find out. And he's gonna come after us." Sarah butted in. Emelina nodded and looked at JJ, who wasn't amused at the lack of appreciation for what he did.

"Yes, he will. Okay, this is not the time to start wilin' out." Pope said. JJ cut in, "How'd you like havin' a gun pulled on you?"

John B pushed himself in front of JJ, "Relax."

"He had it right here on you, bro." JJ mimicked the gun with his finger and pointed it to his friend's head.

"Look," John B slapped his finger away, "We've gotta go get the gold, okay? Just give me that shit. We're putting it back."