32

——

——

A smile formed on Emelina's lips when her eyes caught a glimpse of JJ's bike parked outside the Chateau. After she parked her car, she made her way over to the locked door and used the code to release the key.

"Finally logged into my mom's account to get the code. 4623." Emelina smiled happily, raising the key in her hand as she stumbled inside. There was no response, so she walked further into the home to find JJ hovering over the sink.

"No more breaking in through windows... JJ?" Emelina wasn't able to finish her sentence and instead stepped closer to the blonde boy, placing her hand on his shoulder.

He turned around, and she brought her hand to his face to inspect the fresh cuts and injuries forming on his skin. Dark red substance dripped from his nose, desperately being soaked by a hand towel that must've been laying around. His bright blue eyes weren't so bright anymore. All the light was drained from the event he endured today.

"Is this Luke's doing?" Emelina asked, her voice soft and delicate. Pain consumed her body, her eyes darting from skin to skin. A cut was on his lips, and she could assume bruises laid freshly on his lower body.

"Mhm," JJ nodded and a humorous grin stretched on his lips, "He gave me a special treatment."

She shook her head, pulling the hand towel away from his fingertips. "What happened?"

"You know, the usual. Thinking 'bout my mom... blaming it on me... It's all the same, really. Oh, and he likes to bring up the Phantom."

"Are you okay?" she asked and he looked almost offended that she even asked. He reclaimed the hand towel to wipe away the remaining blood from his nose.

A sigh escaped her lips and scanned the countertop with her eyes. She picked up a half-empty whiskey bottle, "Where did you get this?"

JJ grabbed it from her, taking a swig in the process. "Stole it from daddy dearest."

Emelina pulled it away like he was a child holding something he should not have. "No more. He won't be happy you stole it," she told him, thinking about the consequences he might experience.

"Who cares?" JJ shrugged, "By the time I get back he would've forgotten everything."

She frowned. He didn't deserve this. "You're not going back," she stated and set down the whiskey bottle on the countertop. "Why are you drinking it?"

"Gotta ease the pain somehow, right?" JJ laughed, but his hand soon covers his nose as he hissed in pain. "Ow."

"Follow me," Emelina said and grabbed his hand. While she wasn't looking, JJ used his free hand to get ahold of the bottle and hid it behind his back because stealing things was like a natural tendency to him.