61

——

——

The Pogues resorted to the closest island they could find. Emelina sat near the palm trees with the girls, watching the three boys drag the lifeboat to shore.

"JJ, you alright there, buddy?" John B asked the blonde and patted his shoulder. He nodded, "Yeah. Still a little dizzy."

JJ stood next to Emelina, his eyes wandering over the place. "Okay, anybody know where we're at?"

"I kinda of snoozed during the geography unit, so..." Emelina muttered. Pope walked closer and answered, "Deserted beach. Unknown island."

"Alright, I'll take that as a no... Plan A, huh, Pope? That went well." JJ remarked. Pope sighed, "This is the lowest we can go. We literally have nothing else to lose. The cross, gone."

"The gold, gone," Sarah interjected.

JJ pulled out his pocketknife, stuck it on the tree next to him, and said, "Seriously, if we had a nickel for every time we got beat up, I'd say we're at a dollar fifty."

"That's more than I got on me," Kiara told them. Sarah exhaled a breath, "That somehow doesn't make me feel better."

Emelina felt JJ nudge her with his foot. "Probably shouldn't have ripped up that check, yeah?"

"It would've disintegrated in your pocket," Emelina said.

"Yeah, you're right." John B chimed in, referring to JJ's statement about getting beat up, "But, I mean, we've... We've had some good stuff happen, right?"

"Name something," Pope asked while opening a small floss box. "Um... Uh, the boiler room. What? I mean, if the boiler didn't explode, I wouldn't have gotten away from Rafe. I couldn't have gotten the Zodiac and gotten us out of here." John B answered.

Cleo shook her head. "That wasn't luck. That thing was gonna blow the second I stopped feeding it."

"Stealing my thunder, Cleo."

"Sorry."

"Okay. Pope, you're related to Denmark Tanny. That's crazy." John B reminded him. Pope frowned, "And I lost all his inheritance."

"You know what?" John B stood up from his spot and walked closer to the shore. "Guys, this is it. This is the Pogue life. We are in the Caribbean. It's our own little slice of paradise. With my best friends, with my family. So, I don't know. I wouldn't wanna do it with anyone else. Look, and while you guys were complaining about every little thing... JJ?"

"Hmm?" JJ asked, turning his head to his friend, who stepped closer. John B pointed to the waves, "I was looking at those burly lefts."

"There's some slabs out there." JJ smiled, and John B nodded. "Just a few."