24

——

——

After driving to the cut, Emelina felt her body grow cold when Kiara pulled her car down the dirt road belonging to JJ's house. She didn't like the idea of him seeing his father, but she had no room to speak.

All she wanted to do was go home and never see or think about JJ again... but she has no choice but to stay in the car with him until John B is free.

"Home sweet home," JJ spoke, his voice showering with sadness.

Kiara swallowed thickly as JJ took off his red cap to run his fingers through his hair. "Do you want me to come? 'Cause I'll come," she suggested.

"No," he whispered, opening his car door. "This will only take a second."

"JJ," Emelina called out and he slowly turned his head around to see her. "Be careful, please," she said and he nodded once before leaving.

When he got closer to his front door, he turned his head to the side to give an approving nod to the girls, and then he went inside.

"Okay, now are you going to tell me?" Kiara tilted her head to look at her brunette friend. Emelina rubbed her eyes, "I don't have anything to say. He's just being... JJ." she told her.

"Obviously you do have something to say if it's bothering you this much," Kiara pressed, feeling impatient.

"It's not bothering me, Kie. Can we drop it?" Emelina asked, leaning back on her seat and staring out the window.

Kiara shook her head. "No. No, what happened to us? We used to tell each other everything, and now? I barely hear anything from you anymore."

Emelina remained quiet, keeping her gaze on the green grass outside. She doesn't want to pour everything out at this moment, not when JJ could enter again any minute.

At the corner of her eyes, she spotted JJ walking out of the house. She searched for any injuries and he looked the same as before, except there were tears on his face. On cue, Kiara started the engine.

He opened the car door and inserted himself inside, sniffling slightly. Kiara broke the silence, "How'd it go?"

JJ breathed in, showing off the necklace with the boat key wrapped around his hand. He wiggled it, forcing a tight smile on his lips.

Kiara drove away and to the direction of where the boat was located. Emelina saw her face, how distressed she looked. Kiara kept pushing her hair away and looking around aimlessly.

"It'll be fine," JJ assured her, also noticing their nervous friend. "It's be fine with the Phantom. She'll get out of here quick."

"Woah, woah, woah." JJ gaped, motioning ahead at the multiply police cars blaring the sirens rushing past them. JJ ducked down, and Emelina brought her head to the side, covering it with her hair.