Part Three: Chapter 26

Present Day. . .

It took Julia longer than I thought necessary to finish her shower. It was my turn to run to the gift shop and buy us tourist t-shirts and pajama pants. I honestly didn't care if they were the right size, because we would just have to make do with what we had.

I step out of the shower and look at myself in the mirror. There were bags under my eyes, a large bruise forming above my eyebrow, and a nasty cut on my lip.

My knee has been throbbing painfully and it hasn't stopped, which could only mean I seriously messed it up.

Well, technically Erin messed it up.

I throw on my large t-shirt and pajama pants before exiting the bathroom.

Julia was already fast asleep, curled into the thick covers and her wet blond hair fanning out against the pillows. She looked so innocent. It was so interesting to see how relaxed and vulnerable people looked while sleeping. If that wasn't the creepiest thing I've ever said, I don't know what was. I think it was time for me to go to sleep.

Theo passes me without a word and enters the bathroom.

I limp over to the bed Julia is sleeping in and swing my legs up onto the mattress. My left knee looked swollen and bruised, and I had no idea what was wrong with it. Could Erin's kick really do that much damage?

Well running on it sure didn't help.

I lean my head back against the headboard and close my eyes, imaging my life and how normal it would be if Erin and I just stayed home and watched Netflix together. But then again, I would have never met Theo... Although I wasn't even sure if he was worth it anymore. It's not like we could ever be together, and it's not like he's given me a second thought. I didn't expect him too, it would be unfair to hold that against him.

The shower stops and my eyes remain closed. The door creaks open and I pretend I'm asleep, but it doesn't work for long because Theo hisses out, "Holy shit, Teagan."

I open my eyes and see that he's looking at my knee. I forgot to roll my pants back down.

"It's nothing. I'm fine." I say but he walks over to me anyway. Theo crouches down beside the bed and examines it. "What the hell did she do to you?"

I shrug my shoulders. "All she did was kick me."

"Well that kick did a lot of damage. Do you want me to check if there is any Advil-"

"Theo, no." I say, rather harshly. "We can't risk getting caught. We need to lay low, I said I was fine."

He gives me a stoney expression as he stands back up. "Fine. Be in pain for all I care." his words shock me, yet I was expecting them. I had to push him away.

And this was for two reasons. The first being I was honestly scared of him. He shot someone with absolutely no hesitation with no sign of remorse on his face. For him it might not be a big deal, but in my world where the most violent thing I've endured was being knocked out? Especially when it's Theo doing the damage and not some stranger hiding under a hood. 

The second was that if I let him in anymore than I already have, he was most likely going to break my heart. He never asked for a love sick teenager to fall for him, so I wasn't going to waste his energy and I was going to save him the time. Besides, I had more important things to worry about than chasing after an older man.

Theo turns out all the lights as he crawls under his covers in a frustrated huff. I pretend I don't hear it and close my eyes lightly. Hopefully I can fall asleep like Julia did, forget my physical and emotional shock and pain, and wish it will all go away in the morning.