Chapter 13: The Ball

Theo pulls up the curve in front of my house.

"So like, um," Theo says in what I think was supposed to be the voice of a teenage girl. "I had a great time tonight," he tucks a pretend piece of hair behind his ear and avoids my eyes. "Maybe we should, um, go out again?"

I laugh at him. "We do not sound like that, asshole."

Theo grins. "When I was in high school all the girls would act the same way."

I give him a weird look. "Well not with me, you don't have to worry about that."

"Yeah, I figured." He says and leans back in his carseat. "You're not like most girls."

"That's your opinion." I argue. "I'm like plenty, you just haven't met them yet."

"Okay." Theo says, but judging by his tone he doesn't believe me.

I clear my throat and attempt a deep voice. "Yeah dude, so like, i'll call you." I say in the most manly voice I could manage. "Or like, I'll probably see you in school man."

Theo chuckles. "Are you a stoner?"

"I'm a teenage boy." I laugh and roll my eyes. "What, you all don't sound like that?" I ask sarcastically, getting him back for what he said about girls.

"I get your point," Theo waves me off.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and sit up. "It's getting late," I say honestly, not because I don't want to be in here with him. I am actually surprised that I enjoy his company at the moment.

"Oh yeah, I forgot you have school." Theo nods and starts up his car again. "I'll see you and Julia tomorrow so we can plan more for Wednesday."

"How do you know I'm still going to help you two?" I ask with a smirk. I already knew what I was going to do, I just wanted to see how he would react.

"Because I made such a big grand gesture tonight about how important you are to the team. Oh and the little sob story about me not having any friends. So it's pretty solid."

"Is that even true?" I ask genuinely wanting to know. He sounded pretty serious when he talked about it.

"It's true." Theo says in that same stiff voice. "I'll see you tomorrow, Teagan."

I didn't press the 'friend' topic anymore. "Yeah, see you tomorrow." I step out of the car and just as I'm about to close the door I stop. I lean down and peek my head in. "Oh and you're wrong about not having any friends."

Theo gives me an annoyed look. "How so? It's not like it's my social life or anything and I know nothing about it."

I ignore his sarcasm and smile. "You're wrong, because I'm your friend. Congrats Theo." Before I can hear his response, I shut the car door and walk back to my house.

****

It was finally wednesday, which meant it was go time for Plan B. Of course Theo told me their plans so I could find any flukes, but I had to give him credit. Hopefully we will be finished after this one because I don't think I can handle anymore late night visits from Theo.

Julia wanted to take a limo, but Theo said we needed to be out of there as soon as possible. And frankly I agreed with him. A limo was totally unnecessary and considering what we were trying to accomplish it wasn't a good idea either.

However, I did get to drive Theo's nice sports car.

Once I pulled up in front of the mansion the ball was hosted at, Theo and Julia exited the car in her long extravagant gown, while he was wearing a nice tailored black tux and white tie.

I drove around the corner and a little further afterward just to be on the safe side, then texted Theo my location.

What I did tonight was a lot of waiting, that's what I can tell you. It started to get boring and I couldn't play on my phone anymore because the battery was almost out and I didn't want to waste it in case of emergency. I then heard the faint noise of a peck. Then after a few more pecks the sky started to poor. At least it wasn't silent anymore.

I look out the window at the pouring rain and sigh. Who could of thought this job would get boring?

There was a knock the passenger side window and I jumped from surprise. I began to smile when I thought it was Theo finally coming back, but all I saw was a man with a black hoodie on.

I just stared at him, his face covered by the over-sized hood on his head. My heart sped up a couple notches and I hoped he would just walk away. Maybe he thought I was some other car-

Tap. Tap. Tap.

He knocks again, louder.

"What do you want?" I shout loudly enough for him to hear me.

He shrugs and reaches in his pocket.

Before I continue here, I would just like to say there could have been many scenarios to this. I don't usually jump to conclusions, I think of the most logical thing that could happen. Maybe he was pulling out a pack of cigarettes, maybe he was pulling out his keys, maybe his phone.

But a gun? I was not expecting that.

I scream before turning the keys in the ignition and pressing on the gas peddle. I was parked on a curve so when I sped forward I drove onto the sidewalk. A couple of people that were exiting stores around the area at this hour screamed and scurried away. I quickly jerked off the sidewalk so I wouldn't run anyone over. Just when I thought I was free, I heard a gunshot behind me. The noise of metal against metal did not seem like a good sign. I quickly rounded the corner and sped up again. The rain was pouring hard and hitting the roof aggressively. I began driving toward the ball in hopes Theo would be out by now. Either way it didn't matter, I was getting him out of there now.

Once I pulled up by the entrance a man came up to me and asked if I wanted to valet my car.

"I'll be right out," I say to him and hurry inside. It didn't matter that I was out only for a couple of seconds, I was soaked.

Thank god the party wasn't held in the foyer, but what do I really know about a wealthy person's ball?

I hear the music coming from behind two double doors. I sure as hell wasn't going in there wearing these soaking wet clothes.

I texted Theo and waited. After five minutes and no response and still no sighting of Theo, I texted him again. I started to shiver and I crossed my arms like I was hugging myself to attempt to keep myself warm.

Finally the double doors open across from where I was standing and I guess God was on my side today, because him and Julia walk out laughing with each other.

I waited for them to notice as I stood there and when Theo looked in my direction he froze and stopped walking. Julia caught my eye too and frowned.

"Teagan... What the hell?" Theo rushes over to me, Julia following slowly behind him.

"I texted you. And you didn't answer." I say angrily.

"I'm sorry I didn't hear it." He gives me a concerned look. "What happened?"

"Some crazy guy with a gun just attacked me."