Chapter 17: The Asylum

I wasn't sure how long I was out for. I tried to open my eyes, but there was something pressing against them. I couldn't move my arms and legs because something was binding them. And the smell was musty and damp.

"Hello?" I ask and my voice echoes. I must be in a wide open space, like a garage. "Hello!" I yell louder and all I get in return is the echoing of my voice.

Minutes went by. Then more time ticked away before I heard footsteps sound down the hall.

"She's awake." A familiar voice in the way I must have heard it once, says.

"What do you want with me?" I ask the black hoodie man. "What did I ever to do you? What is even going on?"

"Oh my god, shut up." Another man says as he swipes off my blindfold. I blink, letting my eyes adjust to the space around me. It turns out they didn't have to adjust too much, considering I was almost in complete darkness.

"Where are we?" I ask the three men holding flashlights. Their large oversized hoods were over their important facial features, so I couldn't tell who they were just yet.

"Essex County Hospital." One of them remarks.

I tense then swallow. "Wait.. You mean Overbrook Asylum?"

"Yes. It was the only abandoned site we could afford to buy out the police."

I stifle a laugh. "Yeah right. You can't buy out-" But then I stop myself and remember what Theo said, "Money equals power, Teagan. You'll be surprised to know what you can get away with when you have an unlimited bank account."

"The faster this is done, the faster you can go home."

"What do you want?" I ask, quick to the point.

"All the evidence you have related to Oliver Bartholomew's affair with Erin Kendrick."

I sit there, stunned. "You work for Oliver? He had you do this? Erin had you do this?"

One of them scowls. "Our boss gives us the money, we carry out the orders. Simple as that, we don't know any of the backstories."

"All you want is the evidence I have?" I ask.

"Correct. Now where is it?"

"I don't have it." I say bitterly, remembering I gave my phone to Theo before I left.

"What do you mean you don't have it?"

"I mean I don't have it," I snap. "Pay attention."

"Well where is it? On your computer? In your diary?"

"First of all, I don't have a diary." I glare at all three of them. "Second of all, I actually have no idea where the evidence is. I just help out with the plans to make sure they won't end badly."

The man on the far left scoffs. "Please, we know Theodore gives you all the information. Why wouldn't he? You're his 'important half' or whatever the hell he called you. I don't know. My point is that we know you have it, so just share. Who are you protecting? Theo? This has nothing to do with him ending up hurt."

These men had to be people who knew Theo, because they talked like they hung out with him every weekend or something. "I told you, I don't have it. Trust me, if I did I would totally give it to you. I shouldn't have gotten caught up in this anyway. Just let me go and I'll ask Theo for it."

All three laugh humorlessly. "I don't think so," he walks over to me and lowers himself so he's balancing on the balls of his feet. "Please do this the easy way, Teagan. We really don't want to have to resort to violence."