Chapter 22: Financially Unattractive

I never knew how to shop for a dress, especially a gown, because I never really needed one. When I did shop, it was with Erin. I didn't trust Julia with clothing advice anymore so the only person willing to take me was Kat. And wherever Kat goes, Axel follows.

"How about this one?" Kat pulls out a light pink dress that looked like it belonged in the Cinderella Disney movie.

"I think I'll pass." I say and search through the store.

"Who knew ball gowns were impossible to find?" Axel says as he carries a stack of gowns in his arms.

Kat continues to look and finds another pink one. "I think you look good in pink."

Without my consent, she throws it into the pile Axel is collecting. "I think we have like, twenty here, so maybe Teabag should try them on."

"Stop calling me that." I glare at him over my shoulder and he smirks.

We head to the dressing room, and every dress I tried on looked horrible on me. Maybe I wasn't cut out for ball gowns.

"You doing okay in there?" Kat calls and I respond, "Yeah."

"I'm heading to the bathroom." she says before I hear her shoes click away.

I begin to pull my shirt back over my head when a piece of clothing swings over the top of the dressing room door and whacks me straight in the face.

"Ouch!" I yelp and I hear Axel respond, "Sorry! I found this one... I love Kat, but she wouldn't approve and she doesn't like when girls show off too much skin."

I laugh. "Thanks."

I doubt the one Axel picked out was going to be the dress, and I'm not trying to be stereotypical here, but he was a guy who knew nothing about clothing. Well, maybe he knew a little. His mother was a famous fashion designer.

I slipped on the white and gold gown. It was strapless, which was probably going to be a pain, but I continue to try it on anyway. Once I fully look at myself in the mirror, a small gasp escapes my mouth. "Wow..."

I take my brown hair and pull it into a bun at the top of my head and spin around.

"Do you like it?" Axel calls from the other side.

Before I answer I reach for the price tag.

Well I did, but this dress just became financially unattractive.

"It's okay, I mean I'll keep looking-"

"Relax Teagan, this one is free. So how do you really feel?"

I open the dressing room door and step out to see Axel lounging in a cushioned chair with Kat on his lap.

Kat's eyes go bright as she grins. "Teagan, you look beautiful."

"Thanks," I smile over at her then turn my attention to Axel. "What do you mean it's free?"

"That's my mom's dress, as in this is one of a kind and she wants someone to model in it. You borrow the dress and wear it to the ball, people ask you who made it and you say my mother did. Free advertisement, and this ball is one of the biggest events of the year. My mom would love for you to wear it."

I smile widely at him and look down at the gown. "Are you absolutely-"

"Teagan, don't be that girl." He smirks. "Come on, it's a win win."

"Well... thank you. That's very nice of your mom." I say with a grin and Axel laughs. "I guess you could say that, I mean she will attract a lot of costumers this way. But also my mom likes you, which is rare because she hardly likes anyone."