Chapter 20: Let It Go

"Where have you been?" My mom snaps angrily as my dad crosses his arms and stares at me with that dad gaze. The one that said: 'I'm very disappointed in you'.

"I told you I was going out." I say and my mom only glares at me harder.

"Can you explain what you're wearing then? Hm?" She gestures to the shirt Julia bought me at the drugstore and my now ruined converse. "Did you go to a rave or something?"

"No, mom, no one does that anymore-"

"Whatever." She cuts me off. "That's not even my point. We put so much trust into you, Teagan. Then you don't come home and we're about seconds away from calling the cops. We thought you were kidnapped or something else horrible happened to you!"

Ironic.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry," I look to her, then to my dad. "I honestly didn't intend to stay out all night. I thought I would be back home by three."

My mom runs her hand through her long hair in frustration. My dad lets out a long sigh while shaking his head. I don't think I've ever made them this angry before. I was always the good child, the one who didn't get into much trouble. I feel bad. They probably have no idea how to handle this.

"You got home at ten in the morning, Teagan. You underestimated the time you would get home by. Just tell us the truth, where were you?" My dad speaks for the first time, looking down at me with concern.

I was worrying them and I felt horrible. I wanted to tell them that there was nothing to worry about, but what if I never came home? What if I was still in that asylum? I'm hurting more than myself at this point, and I feel extremely selfish for not considering what would happen to them if anything happened to me. Hell, they wouldn't even know something had happened to me. They have no idea what I have gotten myself into.

Although I feel guilty and selfish, I couldn't tell them the whole truth. But I could try sugarcoating it.

"There was a new club opening in New York, and Julia invited me to go with her and some friends. Since her dad was invited, we were allowed in. She said we would be back by two, but we lost track of time. I'm so sorry you guys."

They both look at each other, like they are communicating telepathically.

"Teagan," my dad says, my mom crossing her arms and watching him. "We've never done this before because you never needed it, but we are going to have to ground you."

I saw this coming, but nonetheless I was still shocked. "Grounded? Seriously? Just because I made one mistake?"

"We are making sure it never happens again, Teagan." My mom says pointedly. "You can't hang out with any friends after school. You go to school, come home, no phone."

I tense. No phone? That would mean they had to take my phone, which would then mean they would see an iPhone they did not pay for.

"You guys, come on. I need my phone. Who am I going to talk to anyway? Erin and I aren't really friends anymore, and it's not like I can use the phone I have for social media." As far as they are aware, I still have my old purple one.

They both frown as I realize I let it slip that Erin and I weren't on speaking terms anymore.

"What happened with you and Erin, baby?" My mom sits next to me on the couch and gives me a sad look.

"I don't know. We just grew apart I guess." I shrug, trying to play it off. The truth was, I couldn't help but want to tell her everything. She was my mom. I told her almost everything anyway.