Chapter 32: The Price To Pay

Today is the day everything I went through- we went through- would end. I wasn't sure how this all worked, considering I was never taught about how the court system operated. But all I knew was that once Theo presented the evidence it was all over.

I wake up to find new clothes beside my neon pink dress, lying at the edge of my bed. Theo wanted me to look presentable, which made me glad. I would have been mortified to show up to court wearing that dress.

It was a fancy white blouse with dark jeans. I had to wear the heels from last night but there was nothing I could do about it.

"You look very professional, Teagan." Theo remarks and I glance over at him.

"Yeah, because you are the one who gave these clothes to me. Where did you get them, anyway?"

Theo slips on a black suit jacket and avoids my eyes. "They were left here."

I didn't need to ask him to elaborate. I got the message.

I called my parents to check in and the lie Julia told them was that I was staying over at her house and then going shopping in the morning. My mom also didn't fail to remind me about responding to the british FBI agent about taking that scholarship. In all honesty, I completely forgot about it. I was pretty sure Ivy League schools didn't give out scholarships, so the money had to be coming from somewhere else. That made me wary.

When the limo pulled up in front of the courthouse I suddenly realized why I was feelings so anxious. Of course the media would have found out about this and there were cameras everywhere. This accusation of Oliver by his brother was probably almost on every news channel.
"Theo, how am I supposed to keep this a secret from my parents?" I ask.

Theo sighs and rubs his face. "Teagan, sorry to break it to you, but there is no possible way you can. even if you do escape the cameras outside there are people recording the entire trial from inside."

I was about to ask how it was possible to have a trial this quickly, but I stopped myself. Of course this was possible. Theo has more money than he can handle and Oliver has even more. It was easy to buy their way into this.

"You still want to come?" Theo asks.

"Of course. Come on, let's go." I say as I step out of the car first with Theo right behind me.

A million questions about Theo and his motives were shot at us so quickly it was hard to decipher who was asking what. Theo places a hand on the small of my back and pushes his way into the courthouse. Once we are inside, two body guards approach us.

"Mr. Bartholomew," one of them says, "Come with us."

I was about to wonder who these guys were here, but as we walked further down the hall even more flashes attacked us. It felt like forever until we were finally in the courtroom.

"Do you have to deal with that all the time?" I ask him.

Theo shrugs. "Yes, but never this bad."

I look around the room and see Oliver almost immediately. He's sitting in one of the stands, a lawyer by his side.

"Theo, don't you have a lawyer?" I ask.

"Of course." He says like I'm crazy. "He's right over there."

I glance over and almost yelp with surprise. Of course, Sebastian Slater, also known as Tall Dark and Mysterious, would be his lawyer. Because no other possible lawyers exists in this world besides Sebastian the FBI agent.

"Nice to see you again, Teagan." Sebastian says, his voice thick as always with that british accent.

"You're a lawyer too?" I ask in a dry tone.