chapter #2

you clamped your hand over your mouth once again to hold back the scream of surprise when you saw the figure standing there. you stumbled back slightly before you identified that it was Loki standing there.

"How long have you been there?" you asked tentatively. Trying to calm your pounding heart from the scare you had just received. you could see his dark eyes had a glimmer of amusement in them and a smile was trying to turn the corners of his mouth up.

"Long." he replied simply before turning away.

"You shouldn't stand there so silently. You'll give someone a heart attack," you muttered.

"Maybe so," he replied, coolly. you rolled your eyes and grasped your slowly cooling tea before disappearing up the steps.

Ugh! How could he be so calm and collected living here. How dare he be here. All of his plans had failed. He was forced to live in a tower he hated, with people he despised. Having to play the good guy with little to no powers. A prisoner under the watch of his brother Thor, banned from Asgard until Odin thought it fit to bring him back; which could be an eternity. The other Avengers disliked having him there and Loki knew it. It wasn't like they tried to hide it.

your bed had turned cold by the time you crawled back into the safety of your blankets. Closing your eyes you fell into a restless sleep. Opening you eyes you found yourself back in the middle of the last battle. The air was thick with smoke and heavy with the scent of dead bodies. Half gagging you turned your dirt covered face to the sky where Tony had just sent a monster flying with a blast from his hand. Turning your head you saw Bruce Banner in hulk form smashing his way through hungry bloodthirsty monsters. Something struck you from behind and you fell to the ground.

Rolling over and springing back up, aware of the pain in your right shoulder, you saw Loki swooping towards you, knives out. Just as he raised his arm to slash you across your throat a blast sent him flying. The tip of his knife caught against your chest instead, and ripped a half-inch deep cut across your chest as he flew backwards into a pile of rubble. Looking down you saw the blood staining your clothes just as you blacked out.

you sat up hearing the last of a scream leaving your throat. Pushing your way out of bed you stumbled to the floor trembling in a cold sweat. your body shaking with spasms of the dream trying to cling to your mind and pull you back into the night terror.

The door opened and Natasha came rushing to your side. Sinking down beside you she gathered your trembling body into her arms. Whimpering against her shoulder you let the tears come and wrack your body. Unaware of the guys slowly slipping from the door and leaving you in Natasha's capable hands you let the warmth of her hug calm you.