chapter #12

Your eyes opened to see Natasha sitting beside you. The sun was already halfway through the sky. Instead of taking in the rumpled sheets and broken glass on the floor, your eyes searched for the one who had held you so dearly last night.

"Loki? Loki? Where is Loki?" you demanded of Natasha.

"Sasha, Loki isn't in here," she said gently.

"But...but he was," you persisted, "he was here last night when I had another night terror."

"Sasha, I don't think Loki was in here. I found you this morning with a high fever and a way too fast pulse," she took my hand as if that would soften the blow, "I think you were imagining it. You turned over and squeezed your eyes shut. Does that mean I imagined the way his arms held me dearly, or the way I saw love in his hurt eyes? The way his kisses traced my skin so tenderly?

That day you didn't leave your room. You lay hidden under the blankets that shielded you from the world. Your mind is a bit hazy and your slender fingers shaking slightly. You were engulfed in a world of pain and fear. Your body ached as you were slowly lulled to sleep by the silence.

Your eyes would open throughout the day, finding Natasha or one of the guys, in turn, standing over you or dabbing away the sweat on your brow. Your body shook with the fever that was caused by the intense images that flooded your brain the previous night. Your vision was blurred and your words slurred, as you kept yourself awake for no more than a minute at a time.

There were moments when your eyes would open for a brief moment and you would find Loki beside you. Stroking your hair or mumbling something you couldn't comprehend. You would murmur his name and he would whisper that he was there. These moments lasted no more than a few seconds as you would slip away into unconsciousness. When your eyes would open again, he was no longer there.

Past dinner time you were sitting up. No longer able to let sleep consume you. Brushing aside Natasha as she tried to keep you from standing, you made your way to your balcony on wobbly legs. You breathed in the cool air and city lights. It was evening time, so the natural light was dimming and soft glows began to protrude from windows.

You were awoken by the visions controlling your mind. Natasha was by your side in an instant, trying to calm you. Your screams blood-curdling.

Loki heard a knock on his door. Before he would reply, Natasha came rushing in.

"Loki, Sasha is having another fit," she panted, "she won't stop calling your name. You probably should come."

Loki was on his feet instantly, walking past her. The closer he came to your door, the louder he heard your tormented screams, calling out to him. His eyes clouded with agony as he saw you writhing on the floor. Cold sweat beading your forehead. He knelt down and gathered you into his arms.

Natasha stood by the door watching as the God Of Mischief shushed you, pressing kisses against your temple. How was it possible for such a mighty god to be reduced to nothing more than an agonized man trying to calm a broken girl in his arms. Natasha watched as he lifted you with the gentlest of hands and the deepest concern in his eyes carefully tucking you against him.

Your cries turned into soft whimpers as you felt the familiar arms around you. He carried you to the lounge chair. Sitting down and cuddling you close, he didn't even notice as Natasha slipped from the room. His eyes only on your pale face.