chapter #15

~LOKI~

She's afraid of you. The words rung in his mind. Tormenting him. Like they had been all week.

"Blast it!" he shouted. Grabbing the nearest object to him, a small vase, he hurled it against the wall. It shattered onto the floor. This gave him little to no satisfaction which angered him even more. Reaching for another he threw it so hard when it shattered, a mark was left in the wall. Seeing it instantly brought him back to you. thrashing on the floor. Frightened by your own skin. By the marks he had given you those many months ago. By the long, jagged, snakelike scar dragging across your chest.

I was a hair's breadth from killing her, he thought. I would have ripped out her heart like all those others, and thought nothing of it. I'm not surprised she is frightened of me. I would be too. I'm a monster. The last sentence hurt. It sliced through his mind like a poisonous gas. He looked down at his hands. Calloused and scarred. And yet, they yearned to pull this mortal into an embrace. To feel her honey colored hair...his thoughts trailed off. Leaving him weeping bitterly. What was he thinking? Kneeling, he reached out to pick up the shards of glass. They instantly sliced his hand. A memory washed over him. You kneel down to pick up the cup he had shattered in disgust. It slicing your palm and blood oozing onto the tile. The question in your eyes wondering why he hurt you like this.

How vulgar I must seem to her now. He thought to himself bitterly. Wiping away the blood, he thought of the moments you sat him down on the rim of the bathtub to clean the blood from his face. How gentle you were when he winced in pain. How calm you were until you realized how close he was. A rancorous smile turned his mouth upward as he remembered watching you flush when you felt overwhelmed by the close proximity of your bodies. The way your thigh quivered, revealing you could feel his fingers lightly against your leg.

Your pulse quickened when he would pull you close. How cheeky you must have felt when you believed he didn't notice these things. When in reality, he noticed everything.

He was torn from these thoughts as Thor entered his room.

"What do you want, brother?" he snapped, "come to make sure I haven't started any wars? Killed and mortals? Taken over Midgard? Well I haven't, so go away!"

Thor was silent for a moment, "am I interrupting something?" he asked, knowing Loki was having a mood.

Loki sighed, "no, I guess not. What is it?"

"This tower is becoming too much for me to bear. Care to join me on a walk?"

"I suppose it won't do me any harm," Loki mused.

It was silent for several minutes. The soft chatter of birds was the only noise for a moment. Thor broke the silence.

"Why do you treat her this way?"

Loki instantly knew who he was speaking about, "brother, if you want to carry an actual conversation you'll have to be more specific," he said coldly.

"I know you know who I mean," Thor persisted, stopping.

"The mortal? I don't treat her in any way," he scoffed.

"You're lying. You think I haven't noticed that you have gone out of your way to avoid her? It has been a week, brother."

Loki tried to push away his brother's questions, but couldn't, "she's afraid of me," he finally whispered. His voice laced with pain and agony.

"And yet you love her." Thor said, more like a statement than a question.

"Yes," Loki paused, surprised by his confession.

"Do you think she reciprocates these feelings?" Thor prodded gently.

"How could she," Loki spat, "I'm a monster." he continued foreword. Eyes locked on the dirt path ahead of him.

"Loki," Thor said, grabbing his arm, "you are blind my brother. Have you failed to see the way she looks at you with such devotion. How her eyes scan each room for you before any other. How you are the only one of us who is able to calm her fears each night? If you cannot open your eyes and see these things, you are blind, my brother."

He ponders Thor's words that night as he lay in the darkness.

The light from the window woke him. Making his way to the kitchen he found the Avengers adhered around a computer. On the screen was Nick Fury's face.

"But Nick," Tony was saying, "it's been too long! We should have had them contact us by now."

"I'm only saying this one more time Stark," Fury said, "we are not sending out a rescue mission until we are certain they are in any danger."

"Fine! But if Sasha is injured because of you, I swear-" Nick Fury disconnected, "ugh that bastard!" he shouted. Storming off. Thor looked at Loki.

"I'm sure the mortal will be fine. She is strong, you know."